L# Cichlid Central
  L# What cilchids are recommended for a 1st timer
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeWhat cilchids are recommended for a 1st timer
Starfish
Fingerling
Kudos: 19
Votes: 0
I am currently doing a heck of a lot of research. I never thought about cilchids until I looked at pictures of them for sale on my local trading websire *curses the people for putting nice fish pictures up*

now so far in the cilchid families I like the look of

Angelfishes
Discus(that was short lived when reading on temperment)
Dolphin cilchid(loves the colour of this one)
Red jewel(same reason)
Bolvian rams
electric yellows and blues

tank sizing 6-9ftlong or 250ltrs-300ltrs or as big as the wallet allows it(is that a sizing)

been on other websites as well and I have been informed african cilchids are easier than the american cilchids to start off with and also what other spieces are recommended. thanks for any advice in advance
Post InfoPosted 30-Jun-2010 00:01Profile PM Edit Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
Hey Starfish Cichlids are not my strong point, but I can help you along a little

Discus are more of an entusiast fish, can be very picky about water conditions. Think big water changes often.

The electric yellows seem quite popular and easy going, so I'd keep those on the list.

Rams are cute and mix in with some other tropicals.

Cockatoo cichlids are also worth a look, another small variety like the rams.

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 30-Jun-2010 16:16Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Lindy

---------------
----------
Administrator
Show me the Shishies!
Kudos: 1350
Votes: 730
female australia au-victoria
electric yellows and blues need to be in an african cichlid community, as do the dolphin cichlids.
The others can be in a community, but I would stay away from discus until you have an established tank. Discus and angels are not good tank mates.
Keep researching, and keep asking questions

Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
Post InfoPosted 02-Jul-2010 00:24Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Starfish
Fingerling
Kudos: 19
I have now decided i am going to do a south american community set up. I will be about to google bio/type tank for the ideas on how to set this up.
Post InfoPosted 02-Jul-2010 02:09Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Sir Syklyd

-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 21
Votes: 1
male micronesia
EditedEdited 02-Jul-2010 05:06
Hello Starfish,

Personally, I feel that for the best success, you should base your decision regarding what species of cichlids to keep on two main factors:

1. The quality of your local water: Is it hard? Is it soft? Is it acidic? Is it alkaline?

If it is hard and alkaline -- meaning it will have a high PH -- I would definitely go with African cichlids, such as Malawi cichlids, which is my current love.

On the other hand, if it is soft and acidic, then you should definitely go with Latin American cichlids, such as discus, angelfish, oscars and the like.

The key issue is this: If you design your new tank according to your local water conditions, and get fish which are naturally suitable for those water conditions, you will save yourself a lot of time, hassle and money, because you won't have to purchase special -- and expensive -- water conditions, or medication if and when your fish get sick.

I am not saying that your fish will never get sick, but if you mix the right kind of fish with the right water parameters, it is less likely. For example, my current mbunas have never been sick since I first purchased them in April of 2009. The water is naturally hard and alkaline here -- I live on a Pacific Island -- so Malawi cichlids are perfect for my tank, and they are breeding like rabbits!

2. The size of your tank: If you can afford to set up a six foot tank, and especially a nine-foot tank, more power to you! A nine-footer has been my dream for a long time. The largest I've ever set up -- at a local hotel -- was an eight foot 300-gallon marine tank. The larger your tank is, the more stable the environment will be, and, of course, the more fish you can put in it, or at least larger fish.
Post InfoPosted 02-Jul-2010 05:05Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
TopAz
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 0
Votes: 2
female australia
I personally recommend Keyhole cichlids

More peaceful and hardier than apistogramma sp. and rams.

Keyhole cichlids are an often overlooked south american dwarf which are super peaceful (can be kept with things like guppys) and are even fairly passive during spawning.

For first timers keyhole cichlids are great!
Post InfoPosted 23-Oct-2010 12:23Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
Hey Starfish.

Not a huge cichlid person, but I do have kribs <---click for their profile ! And I really like them. They're only slightly aggressive when they've got eggs and babies. Mine are breeding again for the third or fourth time (that I know of!) and it's kinda funny to see them keep everyone else to the far end of a 50 gallon tank. I wouldn't consider them really aggressive though, havent seen any damage to the other occupants in the tank, but they will charge at them if they get to close to the fry or eggs.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 23-Oct-2010 21:53Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
kinley
Small Fry
Kudos: 6
I am just amazed at the interest of the people on keeping an aquarium at their home. Mostly people go for fishes that look nice. There are millions of varieties of fishes. But there are several factors that need to be considered while you select a particular fish. The size of the tank and the quality of water are important criterion. The Cilchid family has a peculiar charm in their looks. But beware because you need to know about the fishes before you start with them.
Post InfoPosted 08-Nov-2010 07:24Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
amazondon
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 17
Votes: 15
male usa us-pennsylvania
I love SA and CA cichlids. Rams and smiling dwarf acaras are easy to care for and work well in community situations. In terms of beauty bolivian and blue rams are gorgeous. I wouldn't worry too too much about water parameters. If you buy the fish locally they should be able to take to your water easily.

Attached Image:
Post InfoPosted 28-Nov-2010 20:59Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies