AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Freshwater Species
 L# Cichlid Central
  L# What is up with my golden german ram?
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeWhat is up with my golden german ram?
Rookie_Boy1
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 27
Votes: 0
She attacks two juvenile platies that I have, They are the same colour (Clear gold) as her while they have black fins while she has clear ones. she leaves the others alone seemingly because of their diffrent colour.
She only attacks them if they go into the corner where the older fry of my guppies & platies reside.
or if they go in the floating plants where some of the fry live.
She doesn't have that blue sheen to her sides like my other german rams did, she does the same things like german rams, but I've got an feeling that she isn't a german ram..
What do you thinK?
R_Boy1
Post InfoPosted 31-May-2007 22:24Profile PM Edit Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2782
Votes: 98
female usa
What exactly is your question? She sounds normal and is definitely the same species as the blue german rams just a different color. Alot of territorial fish will go after fish of the same color even if they are a different species. They see them as competition. With rams being fairly good parents(occasionally great parents) she may even be trying to protect any fry in the tank. If she's injuring the other fish you may have to seperate them out or try to rearrange things in the tank to take away her territories. She'll probably just reclaim areas of the tank again and go back to defending them from fish that she thinks look similar to other rams. That's pretty usual for a ram. They don't usually hurt the other fish too badly but they will protect their territory.
Post InfoPosted 01-Jun-2007 01:31Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Rookie_Boy1
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 27
Votes: 0
I've had 5 german rams before, all blues, they didn't do it, so I thought I would just ask on here what y'all think.
Before when the older fry were younger and in the plastic breeder box she used to try and peck the sides to try & get at them but now they're out and in the tank, they keep out of her way & get out the way fast whenever she comes close.

I've just noticed this morning, she is attacking 3 of the 5 oldest guppy fry too now. They are clear & yellowy like her, the other 2 of the 5 oldest are dark brown.. so your explantion must be correct.. Thanks shamm!!

R_Boy1
Post InfoPosted 01-Jun-2007 10:09Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies