Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeWhen I mention....
itsjustme1966
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 36
Votes: 1
female canada
"Blue Cobalt Cichlid" What fish comes to mind.. I tell you later why Im asking.. thanks..
Sue
Post InfoPosted 03-Jan-2009 18:58Profile PM Edit Report 
riri1
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 435
Votes: 44
male
That one blue african cichlid......
Post InfoPosted 03-Jan-2009 20:09Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
DeletedPosted 03-Jan-2009 20:18
This post has been deleted
Cichlid Kid
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 285
Votes: 34
male usa
i think of a zebra cichlid or a mbuna.
Post InfoPosted 03-Jan-2009 20:20Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
sora
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 96
Votes: 134
male usa
A cichlid thats cobalt blue comes to mind

The true test of character is not how much we know how to do, but how we behave when we dont know what to do.
Post InfoPosted 04-Jan-2009 06:37Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
itsjustme1966
-----
Hobbyist
female canada
thanks to the 3 of you!!.. you have answered what I had expected one would, when referring to " blue Cobalt Cichlid" Yes Zebra/African
Reason??!! well, I was quite put off the other day, I supervise at a LFS and I do the ordering of all the fish.
I ordered these BCC and got Discus!.. now of course we all know Discus ARE Cichlids, and there is one named Blue Cobalt Discus..but I was shocked!!!!weve got Black Angels and weve got Black Angel Cichlids..
do you get what Im saying..Ive ordered the fish before, never Discus and if I was too it would be specified "Discus"..damn suppliers..
So to my dismay Im scrabbling to find now a tank to put these guys in..we dont keep alot of the more expensive fish in the store,anf the more demanding.. only special orders for ppl when asked to..
Having a look at these guys, which I must say looked very ,very good, I placed in the Angel tank with 4 angels med size, 2 starywood cats, 4 Bov rams, 6 lg silver hatchets..they did ok for the day or so..
then I took them home .. they are doing well..and havent even wanted to hide at all, and feed once a bit of frozen blood worms..and they both ate.. Im impressed..
thanks for the replys, it makes me feel alot better!
heres some pics if it will let me post..
Sue
Post InfoPosted 04-Jan-2009 08:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
DeletedPosted 04-Jan-2009 08:31
This post has been deleted
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
Hi,
This is absolutely the BEST reason for the use of
the Latin Names vs the "Common" names for fish!
I cannot immagine a better argument.

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 04-Jan-2009 08:32Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
itsjustme1966
-----
Hobbyist
female canada
Post InfoPosted 04-Jan-2009 08:34Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
itsjustme1966
-----
Hobbyist
female canada
very true...Im exspecting a call from my supplier monday..
Im feeling much better about the whole thing now.. fish are doing really well, no hiding and they have ate some blood worms.. so Im happy, funny thing Ive been working on setting up an 80gal Angel/Discus tank, ive just got an early start is all..
what do you think of the discus?..
Post InfoPosted 04-Jan-2009 09:46Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Cichlid Kid
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 285
Votes: 34
male usa
i like them, theylook really good.after you set up the80gal you will have to post a picture.
Post InfoPosted 04-Jan-2009 19:04Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
itsjustme1966
-----
Hobbyist
female canada
will do.. going to be a while month or so, patience I keep saying..lol.. but it hard.. to see it everyday and wish it was done..waiting for plants and dw..
Post InfoPosted 05-Jan-2009 04:12Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Kudos: 278
Votes: 338
female australia au-newsouthwales
EditedEdited by TW
I can't really blame the supplier, because as you say, there is a Cobalt discus, and a discus is a cichlid. It was the discus i thought of first in response to your question, because I am a discus keeper.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 05-Jan-2009 16:52Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
itsjustme1966
-----
Hobbyist
female canada
very true TW.. I do blame the supplier because we have a price list and fish chart we go by and cichlids are under Cichlids, African/ American/ lake Mal/ Tak /Discus being at the bottom and they are all labeled..
so when writing down Blue Cobalt Cichlid they should send me just that.. not Discus..lol..
I was just curious as to what some would say..
just like we have a Black "Angel" and a Black "angel" cichlid..
Im happy all in all now.. over it..
if I was to tell you the mistakes these guys make, you would shake your head..lol.. this is just a big one..as Discus have different needs and our store is only 45 tanks.. not like a BigAls.. being all fish..
Bye for now Sue
Post InfoPosted 05-Jan-2009 19:39Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Kudos: 278
Votes: 338
female australia au-newsouthwales
EditedEdited by tw
The picture of the fish, they look really nice, except do the eyes look just a little too large in proportion to body size (might be just the photo). That is a sign of stunting in a discus. Good luck with them & welcome to the world of discus keeping.

So on the list, by looking at the way you show the oblique (/) then "Cichlid" is the main heading, with the sub headings "African/ American/ lake Mal/ Tak /Discus" all coming under the main sub heading of "Cichlid" ? eg. did they give the sub heading "Discus" the same weighting as the main heading "Cichlid" (in which case they are to blame)or did it have the same weighting as "African" etc (in which case, I'm not so sure they are).

I get that you're over it & I'm not saying they are 100% blameless, just trying to see it from their point of view.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 05-Jan-2009 21:47Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
itsjustme1966
-----
Hobbyist
female canada
hey TW.. to clarify.. ther are headings.. being what I mentioned..to be more specific..
would look like this..
Cichlids
-Black convict cichlid
-pink convict cichlid
etc etc..
lake Tanganyika
-...... cichlid
-....cichlid
African lake Malawi
-....cichlid
-blue cobalt cichlid
South American
-red melon discus
-green leopard discus
-blue diamond discus
-red Marlboro..
-"COBALT" discus
...like that.. you get the idea..
Im happy now I like the little guys, you are probably right about the eyes..had someone else mention it..sitting in a fishery for a while..not from a reputable breeder I know that..lol..fine with me none the less..
I am a member of a discus club, will be chosing for myself in time to come, from a breeder for 35 yrs..not just discus, as well he has sucsessfully been breeding zebra plecos..just in the lastfew yrs..Im looking forward to my choices..
Sue
Post InfoPosted 06-Jan-2009 07:55Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies