TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Kudos: 278
Votes: 338
female australia au-newsouthwales
Hi All

I bought this fish yesterday & I got a bit carried away with the pictures, so sorry, it might be a bit boring.

Don't know how I missed this when I was picking him out of the bunch, but it looks like one of his pelvic fins may be suffered damage in the past as it is shorter than the other one, but abruptly so, as if by damage rather than by uneven natural growth. Does this fin repair itself?

One of my stunted alenquer discus will keep him company in his QT.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 03-May-2009 12:16Profile PM Edit Report 
Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Asian Hardfeather Enthusiast
Votes: 162
male uk
EditedEdited by Mez
Wait, you mean, people are now breeding discus without colour?!
Whyyyy?!
His fin, if a wound or bite, will grow back naturally.
If its down to all the inbreeding and stuff, its just a defect in that line/gene/fish.
Post InfoPosted 03-May-2009 18:42Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Wait, you mean, people are now breeding discus without colour?! Whyyyy?!
White is a colour and white discus have been around for a very long time. What is different about this guy is he is albino, meaning his eye is red, wheras, most white discus have white rimmed black eyes. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I have posted his pic on two discus specific forums & your's is the first negative comment
If its down to all the inbreeding and stuff
With discus, only the wilds aren't involved in inbreeding. Everything else are hybrids. Wilds are my favourite discus, and I have 2 tanks dedicated to them - but we hardly ever get them in Australia. You have to search long & hard for wilds.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 03-May-2009 22:55Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Asian Hardfeather Enthusiast
Votes: 162
male uk
Yeah, im aware of the inbreeding.
Personally id only keep wilds, but thats possibly because they are reasonably often available to me here. Infact one day, a dream tank would be some altums and wild browns..
Post InfoPosted 03-May-2009 23:27Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Personally id only keep wilds, but thats possibly because they are reasonably often available to me here. Infact one day, a dream tank would be some altums and wild browns..
Hi Mez
You can't beat nature and you're so lucky that wilds are reasonably often available. I would take F1 tank bred from wild parents too, if I could find them. It has taken me more than 2 years of fairly consistent searching to find 2 wild heckels, 2 wild blues, 6 wild browns & 2 wild greens. Each time I found wilds, I bought all that the LFS had brought in. I am still trying to hunt down another 4 wild greens at the moment. A discus keeper here in Aus, who only will keep wild discus, will have an empty tank for a very long time. When you find them, you pay big money. Wild browns will set you back AU$200 and wild Greens AU$250.

There is an English guy, goes by name Dan S on the discus forums, who has the most stunning wild blue discus tank.

I've posted my wild brown/blue discus tank here just recently, if you're interested. Sort of tying to be a more man's copy Dan's tank - but with a few extra plants.

Having said all that, my new little white albino is my current favourite of my domestics, so beauty is in the eye of the beholder

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 04-May-2009 00:51Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies