AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Freshwater Species
 L# Cichlid Central
  L# Will German Blue and German Golden breed?
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeWill German Blue and German Golden breed?
dmarkham0117
----------
Hobbyist
Kudos: 18
Votes: 1
male usa
Will German Blue and German Golden breed?

I recently purchased a male German Golden Ram.
I have been looking for a couple of females, but have been unable to locate any for 3 weeks now at my LFS's. I have found some female Blue Rams though...

Should I continue to wait for some Golden females or would it be ok to mix, and my male won't care if they are Golden?

125G heavily planted
192-322w CF lighting
Compressed CO2
PH 6.8
KH 5DG
Temp 84F
Eheim Wet/Dry
Odyssea Canister
2 300W Hydor inline heaters
UV filter

25+ Cardinal Tetras
7 Otocinlus
5 Clown loaches
3 Rubber Lip Plecos
2 American Flag fish
20+ Caridina japonica (Amano Shrimp)
1 German Golden Ram
Post InfoPosted 21-Jun-2007 17:55Profile PM Edit Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2782
Votes: 98
female usa
They will but you'll probably end up with all blue rams for the first generation. Unless the blues you get also had a gold ram parent they shouldn't be carrying the gene to make gold rams. Their offspring though will carry 1 gold and 1 blue gene so if you cross them to another offspring of a gold and blue or a gold you will get some golds for your 2nd generation of offspring.

One thing to keep in mind though is that they frequently treat rams with hormones when breeding them. This makes all the resulting offspring male and sterile. If you get a male from a tank with only males and there are lots of them then chances are they were all treated with the chemicals and will not produce offspring. That was my biggest problem when trying to breed rams. I checked several stores that had a dozen or 2 rams in a tank and every last one was male. Probably none of them had the ability to breed. You not only have to find females but you need males from a tank that also includes females to be sure they aren't sterile. That's when it's best to find a local hobbyist or use something like aquabid.com to get good quality rams from an individual and not a dealer.
Post InfoPosted 21-Jun-2007 18:08Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
dmarkham0117
----------
Hobbyist
Kudos: 18
Votes: 1
male usa
Thanks for the information Sham! I'm not necessarily interested in breeding them for new livestock, but rather for the purpose of just having healthy happy fish. If I did get some off spring that would just be a bonus. My main focus on the tank will be Discus. The tank has been running for about 2 1/2 months now, it's cycled, and I've been doing my water changes. Just wanting to make sure everything is really stable before adding discus. The Rams will be the last addition to the tank before discus.

Thanks again!
Post InfoPosted 21-Jun-2007 20:06Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies