Post Reply  New Topic
Subscribehe is just to BIG
HOKESE
-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 478
Votes: 271
male australia
hi guys a couple of days ago i upgraded my flowerhorn to a bigger tank,well the problem is he is getting to big for the pot that he chooses to go in when he wants shelter, cause he has had this ever since he was tiny i think he has grown rather fond of it,when he does go in it,he has to reverse in and even then he only half fits in,well ive tryed like 4 times putting in a big peice of pvc pipe,and he wont have a bar of it,and as most decore big enuff 4 him to fit in properly will set me back like over a 100 bucks i dont want to buy 1 untill i know he will like it,does anyone know why he is refusing to go into the pvc pipe is it the colour(its white),ive even tryed building him a cave from the spare rocks i have and its the same,he wont have a bar of it,he just stays rite away from anything i try to put in 4 him as a shelter,he has plenty of room(75 gal) but he just wont even go near it,ant ideas guysSTUMPPED
Post InfoPosted 07-Dec-2006 04:36Profile MSN PM Edit Report 
pookiekiller12
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 633
Votes: 41
male usa
EditedEdited by pookiekiller12
Have you tried a larger flower pot on its side??

When you substituted caves did you remove his old one? I would and give it a couple days.

Cichlids are pretty adaptable.

Good luck.
Post InfoPosted 07-Dec-2006 06:43Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
HOKESE
-----
Mega Fish
male australia
no i didnt should i take his old 1 out while i try something new,i think ill give the flower pot a goo too./:'
Post InfoPosted 07-Dec-2006 08:05Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
inkodinkomalinko
---------------
-----
Fish Guru
Kudos: 833
male usa
Yeah, go with a large flowerpot as suggested. You dont have to break the bottom off either. PVC works better for cave/rock dwelling fish. Oscars, red devils, flowerhorns, etc I've kept never went into PVC either.
Post InfoPosted 08-Dec-2006 05:08Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
wish-ga

----------
Mega Fish
Dial 1800-Positive-Posts
Kudos: 640
female australia
EditedEdited by wish-ga
Keep his usual pot in the tank. Add the new larger pot.

For a time he will have two options. May not be the most aesthetic for a while but it will take some adjustment. Let's not freak him out too much.

If you do it that way he will have is old faithful but will soon realise the new roomy version is way cool.

When he no longer goes into he small house take it out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~ My fish blow kisses at me all day long ~~~
Post InfoPosted 08-Dec-2006 06:11Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
aliceisadog
---------------
Enthusiast
Kudos: 37
Votes: 25
male australia
Hi there. I'd try the two pots at one time or. In my devils tank i found a large peice of wood. Its like roots or branch section about 2ft long placed in the corner of his tank. It branches out downward and creates a cave like feature. He likes it and it has that natural look. What ever you do he will get used to it. Have fun
Post InfoPosted 09-Dec-2006 01:23Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
HOKESE
-----
Mega Fish
male australia
EditedEdited by hokese
thanx guysi went to my lfs store today,they didnt have any potsbut he ordered me 1 in,i can pick it up next week,the branches sound like a good idea toobut as im looking for a female partner for him,i think the flower pot will be better for the 2 off them when its spawn timejeez some of the more detailed tank decore can get very expensive,(pirate ships big castles,ect)cause of hes size most of the tank decore they had(lfs) he wouldnt even come close to fitting in,and with the prices on the BIG STUFF,im glad the flower pots are cheap, but very effectivei do have a big pipe type decore thing,and he would fit in it great,but my blue acara and green terror have claimed it as home....its funny how attached he has become to his pot,he looks so awkward when he is in it,hes just so dam stubbornwhen he gets a idea in his head thats it,no changing it
Post InfoPosted 09-Dec-2006 09:05Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
WiseIves
----------
Enthusiast
MbunaMbunaMbuna
Kudos: 180
Votes: 85
male usa
wow hokese how large of a tank is this? To have the FH and an acara and GT it must be fairly large. How's the gression in there? From what I've heard FH's do not tolerate other fish as mates, how is it working for you? sorry for changing to subject.

By all means marry; if you get a good wife, you'll be happy. If you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher.
Socrates-
I happen to have become a philosopher
Post InfoPosted 09-Dec-2006 15:01Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
HOKESE
-----
Mega Fish
male australia
lol,na man no waythat would be warmy flowerhorn is by him selfthe other chilids i mentioned are in another tank,ive tryed a number of times to mix my flowerhorn,he thrashed EVERYTHING IVE TRYED with in minutes, he inflicks damage that takes weeks to heal,gts convicts,texas,red devils,ive tryed em all,NO JOKE,and he just takes them throo the flowerhorn school of hard knocksand that was a while ago to,he has doubled in size since then,hence his name JAWS
Post InfoPosted 10-Dec-2006 04:25Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
HOKESE
-----
Mega Fish
male australia
yeeehaaai got my pot today for my fhi came home from my LFS,with a plan,thinking ill give him a hour or so to check it out,then i would coax him into it(his cool new pot)with a earthworm,well about ten mins went bye,and boom,i looked over and there he was with his head poking out,and hes been in and out of it now for hours,its so big,it would hold 2 full grown flowerhorns with enuff room to do a full circle in it,no problems at all.thanx again guys for the ideas..../:'
Post InfoPosted 13-Dec-2006 02:45Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies