Barb_Fan2
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 23
Votes: 0
male usa us-newjersey
EditedEdited by Barb_Fan2
Hello,

If anyone in these areas is looking to build a pond or is thinking about one. Then contact me if your looking for a quote. I have been doing landscaping most of my life from commercial to residential properties including ponds, irrigation, lighting, and hardscapes. I am now looking to only do ponds as it is one of my great hobbies along with fish keeping. I am looking to do small ponds to large ponds and pondless waterfalls mostly for homeowners.

Also looking for a partner in working on ponds.

Contact me here with all requests.

Keith
Aspenviews Landscaping
Post InfoPosted 07-Jul-2008 04:25Profile PM Edit Report 
katieb
-----
Fish Addict
Votes: 69
female usa
EditedEdited by katieb
Hey Keith, welcome to FishProfiles!

Quick question: I live in SE PA and Ive always wondered what was required to winter a pond here. I love ponds but it gets pretty cold here

I'll do graffiti,
If you sing to me in French.
Post InfoPosted 08-Jul-2008 23:23Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Barb_Fan2
-----
Fingerling
male usa us-newjersey
Hi Katieb,

Well where in SE PA? I live over the border from Philly in NJ. Well first do you have a pond? if so do you have fish in it and what kind? what type plants to you have in it?

For my in my pond I have keep Koi and two pl*cos(during the summer) in it as well as I a couple of tropical plants and some hardy plants.

Now for the winter I bring in the two pl*cos and I bring in my tropical plants in,one is huge tropical lily and a big tropical palm since it is a tropical is cant stay outside in the winter, so first frost it comes in.

For all my other hardy plants they stay in the pond.

For the Koi fish I also just leave them there in the pond as long as they have room and it is deep, I like them to have at the least 2.5ft to 4ft of water over there heads. I add a pond heater which you can get a submersible heater or a floating one to keep a hole in any ice that may form on the pond so as to let the gases from the fish waste and plant decay which can be harmful and could kill the fish to escape.

Also to have a easier time next spring cleaning the pond you can put up leave netting to keep the leaves out.

If your pond is open to the wind and you have 2.5 ft or less water in your pond I would plant some shrubs that are winter hardy to screen the wind some what and/or you can insult with hay/straw around the pond and you can even put plywood up but don't completely cover the pond surface cause you can rob the pond of Oxygen.
Post InfoPosted 10-Jul-2008 00:12Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
katieb
-----
Fish Addict
female usa
Hi Im the Philly area.

I dont have a pond, but I hope to have one when I have more money and live on my own. I was more curious about how ponds fare in my area as I dont know any local pond owners

I'll do graffiti,
Post InfoPosted 10-Jul-2008 01:16Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Barb_Fan2
-----
Fingerling
male usa us-newjersey
Hi Katieb,

Well nice to meet you. I am only 20 minutes the other side of Ben Franklin, in Mount Laurel. How big of a pond you looking to build? and if you every need help let me know. Us fishy people have to swim together.

Keith
Post InfoPosted 10-Jul-2008 05:21Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
katieb
-----
Fish Addict
female usa
I'm still in college so I won't be building a pond anytime soon. But if I ever do, i dont think it will be particularly big and it would have to be pretty low maintainence

Thanks Keith

I'll do graffiti,
Post InfoPosted 10-Jul-2008 22:40Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies