SubscribeAlgae Problem
Garofoli
----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 143
Votes: 27
male usa
Hello Everyone,
I have a giant outdoor pond that freezes over completely during the winter. There are many goldfish in there. Is there any natural way to get rid of some of the algae (e.g. Catfish) I dont really want to use Pellets or anything like that. What kinds of fish can help with this. Thanks.

Chris
Post InfoPosted 18-May-2006 02:38Profile AIM PM Edit Report 
bettachris

---------------
-----
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 4173
Votes: 452
male usa
a pleco might be fine, given you take it out every winter.

what is the gallon size?

a high fin loach will be ok in a pond, but def not for small ponds. it will get larger than an addult koi so a 2000 gallon pond with some koi will be nice. but they are expensive and massive fish.
Post InfoPosted 18-May-2006 21:09Profile Homepage Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Garofoli
----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 143
Votes: 27
male usa
Well, I dont have room to take whatever the fish is inside for winter. This pond is maybe 500g. Anything that can stay year-round?

Chris
Post InfoPosted 19-May-2006 01:33Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Dolf
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 180
Votes: 46
male usa
I used to put plecos in my pond in the Spring then trade them back in the Fall for store credit. Now I have Florida Flagfish (Jordanella floridae). Since your pond freezes, they would have to be wintered also, but at about 2" each, they would be much easier to house. I also found that by adding a water garden to my pond I reduced the amount of algae growing in it. Regular water changes will help to keep down nitrogen levels and work to starve out the algae especially if you can vacuum the bottom of the pond.
Post InfoPosted 19-May-2006 07:10Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies