AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Freshwater Aquaria
 L# Coldwater, Watergardens, and Ponds
  L# Crazy Temperature Changes -> Swim Bladder?
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeCrazy Temperature Changes -> Swim Bladder?
terranova
---------------
Fish Master
Kudos: 1889
Votes: 229
female usa
hi all,

so we've been having really drastic temperature changes lately.. one day there's snow and the next its like spring, and it seems to be causing a lot of distress in my boyfriends pond. one of the fantails is experiencing what seems to be swim bladder and i think the temperature changes is the leading cause for this. she's an older fish, about ten years if i had to guess. bloated, having difficulty swimming on occasion, etc.

any options other than taking her inside for treatment?

-ferret

-Formerly known as the Ferretfish
Post InfoPosted 10-Jan-2008 01:12Profile Yahoo PM Edit Report 
Joe Potato

---------------
-----
Fish Addict
Kind of a Big Deal
Votes: 309
male usa us-northcarolina
How big is the pond? If it is a sufficiently large size, day-to-day air temp changes shouldn't change the water temp too much.

I've never heard of swim bladder problems being caused by changing temperature, although someone may very well come in and correct me on that. In fancy goldfish, they're mostly caused by diet. Their innards are so screwy if you look at them wrong it'll cause an impaction. Have you tried the old shelled-pea trick? She may just be plugged up.
Post InfoPosted 10-Jan-2008 01:35Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
terranova
---------------
Fish Master
Kudos: 1889
Votes: 229
female usa
the pond is like 6 or 700 gallons i think alex.. i know that temperature changes isn't a direct cause of swim bladder but i do know that stress is, and stress can come from drastic temperature changes. honestly the weather has seriously gone from snow to 60s.. its bizarre.

we didn't try the pea trick, but i did suggest it. and then we only had gourmet peas which were not allowed to turn into fish food. hah.

-Formerly known as the Ferretfish
Post InfoPosted 10-Jan-2008 05:16Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Gourami
---------------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 477
Votes: 1
male usa
Peas are about your best bet. They almost always do the trick. If those don't work I would recomend bringing her inside for the winter. The fancy goldfish do have a hard time in the winter outside. Especially if she is getting old, they don't handle the temp changes as well as the normal goldfish.
Post InfoPosted 13-Jan-2008 04:55Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies