Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeCurious Over Wintering
sora
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 96
Votes: 134
male usa
hey i actually dont have a pond or a coldwater tank but i was just a little curious. ive heard of people keeping goldfish in their ponds over the winter. i was wondering if anybody has done that with a smaller fish like a school of WCMM's? i just thought about it the other day.

The true test of character is not how much we know how to do, but how we behave when we dont know what to do.
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2008 19:22Profile AIM PM Edit Report 
sora
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
Sheesh lol people dont get on here to often do they? ohwell its all good. ill just look it up online.

The true test of character is not how much we know how to do, but how we behave when we dont know what to do.
Post InfoPosted 02-Feb-2008 16:27Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
WCMM can handle a wide temperature range, and can also handle the cycling process that would occur the following spring.

However, they wouldn't handle the freezing temps that some goldfish and koi can handle. Many areas of the US would get too cold for them to go year round without being in a deep enough pond.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 04-Feb-2008 03:21Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
sora
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
EditedEdited by sora
thank you so much babel so a deeper pond would help them survive through the winter? like how deep? a few feet? thanks

Post InfoPosted 04-Feb-2008 04:39Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
I think it's 4' that's the general rule, and that does seem a bit extreme for just white clouds.

4 feet to keep from freezing solid in most areas, combined with lots of surface movement to keep the surface from freezing over. Some areas may need a surface heater, which while they work, are very inefficient.

Any of the more temperate areas of the us it would work though.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 10-Feb-2008 12:15Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies