AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Freshwater Aquaria
 L# Coldwater, Watergardens, and Ponds
  L# Decent algae eater for a goldfish aquarium.
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeDecent algae eater for a goldfish aquarium.
longhairedgit
---------------
----------
Fish Guru
Lord of the Beasts
Kudos: 1778
Votes: 29
male uk
EditedEdited by longhairedgit
This is a bit of research im doing for the gf's sister(pain in the butt) new coldwater tank. Ok, we can go for a 55 gal or bigger, we can get a big eheim filter, plants and stuff no problems,( the more perceptive of you have probably realised im gonna have to provide that!) but you know how people are a bit wet about cage maintenance and they need an algae eater, so I was wondering if a few hillstream loaches might be a reasonable alternative to a plec. Ive not kept them , but I could set up areas with a bit of current and texture up the back of the tank with wood so they can find refuges etc. With the aid of a large hammer and some emotional torture I can get the woman to maintain the filter properly.

Are hillstream loaches a decent option, if not , is there anything else that would be? I guess the tank will cruise around 58- 80f, during the year,with about an average temp of 74-75 f. Theres no way this wench, er sorry, I mean independant and intelligent young woman, is gonna fork out for, or use a heater properly to maintain the lower temperature limit, so cooler tropicals are probably out of the question unless theyre very tough. The water quality will eventually be tolerable give or take the odd beginners glitch and the odd forgotten water change.I will be overseeing things from the furthest distance possible.

Can you suggest anything tough enough?

( if it were up to me Id say put the damn goldfish in a pond,but they live in a flat and havent got one, and it is NOT going in mine, its a little disease bag. I have little interest in coldwater, im a tropicals and marines man, but theyve just got all enthusiastic and it seems a shame to get pedantic about things just as things might be looking up for the fish).

Basically any suggestions for smallish fish that will tolerate a rubbish tennis ball shaped fancy goldfish as a cage mate, wont attack it, and may eat some algae and scavenge a bit? Cheap as chips an advantage.

Personally I think the whole idea is probably a waste of time, but mine is to do or die and not to reason why. Doubtless about once a month ill go over and do the damn maintenance anyway.Lettuce leaf people, should be drowned at birth.
Post InfoPosted 27-Feb-2006 06:04Profile MSN PM Edit Report 
zman
----------
Hobbyist
Kudos: 73
Votes: 63
male usa
EditedEdited by zman
longhairedgit my questions into this area has been answered with using ottos i'm still trying to find a LFS that stock them and I'm still doing the reserarch into them. I know they don't graw nearly as big and that you should have several.

...but why r u doing all this.....remember no good deed goes unpunished.
Post InfoPosted 27-Feb-2006 06:20Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
longhairedgit
---------------
----------
Fish Guru
Lord of the Beasts
male uk
EditedEdited by longhairedgit
I have ottos in my tropical tanks, and while they are excellent algae eaters, and I love them , the temps in this tank may be a little cool in winter for them , and im not convinced the big orange thing wont eat them. Im really looking for something that has the temperature tolerance of a goldfish, I have a feeling its gonna need it.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

...but why r u doing all this.....remember no good deed goes unpunished.
lol, yeah I know the feeling.

Theres still a small patch of my head that hasnt been banged against a brick wall yet.

ps, if you want info on ottos I can help you out, what do you need to know?

C'mon there must be a coldwater guru out there somewhere..
Post InfoPosted 27-Feb-2006 06:24Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Inkling
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 498
Votes: 11
female usa
Ottos are tropical fish. They wont do well with goldies

Inky
Post InfoPosted 07-Mar-2006 17:48Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
OldTimer
---------------
-----
Mega Fish
USAF Retired
Kudos: 1294
Votes: 809
male usa
I'm sure no expert on the hillstream loaches, but I did locate quite an extensive article on them. Thought it might provide you with some additional info.

http://www.loaches.com/hillstream_loaches.html

Jim

Water, taken in moderation, cannot hurt anybody. -- Mark Twain
Post InfoPosted 08-Mar-2006 05:43Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
longhairedgit
---------------
----------
Fish Guru
Lord of the Beasts
male uk
Thanks for that old timer . From that its makes me realise the possibilities. Chemically and oxygen wise they should be compatable,and the goldfish should be able to adjust to the conditions they prefer, except of course the flow, so the only challenge is providing a tank with two areas of flow, one slower for a chunky goldfish and one with loads of bubbles and disturbance for the loaches. The loach should be happy in the 60's -70's water. I assume the loaches would occasionally move over to the calmer side for a quick munch on the algae and then pop back. All ive gotta do after that is make sure theres enough volume and filtration to avoid the goldie putting the water quality out of whack, and Im pretty sure a goldie wouldnt eat a 4 inch species of loach, and even if it did feel the urge , it probably wouldnt fight the flow to try..

Hmmm, I think this might work.
Post InfoPosted 08-Mar-2006 18:32Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies