Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeGoldfish- pumps
Thursday
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 32
Votes: 4
female usa
I got one of those little pre-formed ponds, 35 gal, 4 ft acrost, only 18'' deep. I have 4 small (1.5 in) comets. I had a fountain pump going, but it kept getting plugged. I tried putting a pantyhose around it, but it still got plugged... it just took longer! So, any Ideas?
I'm also worried about the goldfish. I've had them for almost a month, and I see all the pictures of ponds with these swarms of goldfish near the surface... mine sitck to the bottom, only swimming some distance when spooked, from one shelter to another. We don't have any filtration, but are planning to get a biological filter.

If pets are so stupid, how did they weasel free room and board out of us?
Post InfoPosted 26-Jun-2006 04:07Profile PM Edit Report 
OldTimer
---------------
-----
Mega Fish
USAF Retired
Kudos: 1294
Votes: 809
male usa
First and foremost, your goldfish are going to get way too large for the size of "pond" that you currently have them in. They require much larger housing than that currently being provided.

As far as the pump is concerned, they do make a housing that most pumps will fit into that have sponge filters and bio-balls that will help with the filtration and help keep it from getting clogged.

Your fish are still just getting use to their new surroundings and once they are comfortable with it, trust me they will be at the surface waiting to be fed anytime you come near the pond.

Jim

Water, taken in moderation, cannot hurt anybody. -- Mark Twain
Post InfoPosted 26-Jun-2006 05:07Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Thursday
-----
Fingerling
female usa
EditedEdited by thursday
"Watergarden" then. Yeah, I'm planning to make another one. I think I'll use a stocktank (Cleaned and disinfected), maybe 500-1000 gal, I don't know what stocktank I'll use. I think I'll then dig a shallower hole , mabye 18'', around it, so we don't just suddenly have a 4' drop.

Post InfoPosted 26-Jun-2006 15:19Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
OldTimer
---------------
-----
Mega Fish
USAF Retired
Kudos: 1294
Votes: 809
male usa
The stock tank sounds like a good idea as far as the size is concerned. I've seen them used for this before and with bit of landscaping around them can make a very effective and attractive pond.

Jim

Water, taken in moderation, cannot hurt anybody. -- Mark Twain
Post InfoPosted 26-Jun-2006 22:30Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Dolf
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 180
Votes: 46
male usa
When looking for a stock tank, stay away from the metal ones. They are harmfull to your fish and get very hot. Keep in mind when you put your tank in the ground, the lower you go, the more stable the water temperature will be.
Post InfoPosted 28-Jun-2006 02:57Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Thursday
-----
Fingerling
female usa
Is there any way to coat the inside of the stocktank so it's safe? We only have metal ones..... It will be underground almost completely. (Maybe 5 or six inches above the ground) We have a pond (Natural,mucky) and it has lots of wild lilies that now have these big, white, flowers. My mom says that people have fallen out of boats trying to pull lilies up, and I don't know how deep it is, and I would rather NOT find out myself But is there a way to propemgate it from the stem?

P.S- I've never heard or seen of anything BUT metal stocktanks...Are they not that common? I guess they arn't... at least here.

Post InfoPosted 30-Jun-2006 01:38Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
katieb
-----
Fish Addict
Votes: 69
female usa
Rubbermaid's site has rubber stock tanks, IIRC.

I'll do graffiti,
If you sing to me in French.
Post InfoPosted 30-Jun-2006 02:15Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Thursday
-----
Fingerling
female usa
Thanks

Post InfoPosted 30-Jun-2006 02:34Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Dolf
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 180
Votes: 46
male usa
To make a metal tank safe, your best bet would be to use a rubber liner in it. Overheating would not be a problem if the tank is mostly buried. You might be able to use an epoxy spray or rubberized paint to coat the tank. You might ask at your local hardware store about paint for submerged conditions.
To propagate lilies you will need to dig down to the rhizome. It is the thick rootstock from which the lily stems shoot out. The rhizome can be broken up and transplanted to make new plants. I do this every fall when they go dormant. Keep in mind that most lilies need a minimum of 2.5 to 3 feet of water to grow properly.
Post InfoPosted 03-Jul-2006 01:14Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Thursday
-----
Fingerling
female usa
EditedEdited by thursday
Drat. I was hoping you could just propememgate it by stem, but maybe my pond's not too deep..hopefully.
There's this big waterboatmen-type bug livin in there too... 2 in.... Is that good? He's (She's) too small to hurt the fish, and they can't hurt it.

Post InfoPosted 07-Jul-2006 16:31Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies