goldfishgeek
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 412
Votes: 38
female uk
Should you keep Goldfish on Gravel, cos on the website below it says no,

http://www.mu.edu/~buxtoni/puregold/care/care1.htm#tanks

I just thought a bare bottomed tank would be really boring for them and surely all fish are in danger of choking on gravel, if you kept it clean enough it would be ok?

any ideas?

GFG

Post InfoPosted 13-Mar-2006 16:29Profile Homepage Yahoo PM Edit Report 
Inkling
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 498
Votes: 11
female usa
I havent had any problums when I had my goldfish, but Ive only had them a short while. Also, I'm not sure how accurate that webpage is. It says goldfish are okay 10g per fish, and it recommended adding dirt to the aquarium (never heard of that)

Inky
Post InfoPosted 13-Mar-2006 19:10Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
longhairedgit
---------------
----------
Fish Guru
Lord of the Beasts
Kudos: 1778
Votes: 29
male uk
EditedEdited by longhairedgit
I think that site is being a bit alarmist. Probably 99% of all goldfish out there are kept on gravel in tanks or even in their ponds. The grade is probably important though, it helps to have gravel either too big too swallow or small enough to pass through the goldie. Personally I think they have more fun on fine grade because they can spend hours turning it over , and generally rooting around.
Post InfoPosted 14-Mar-2006 12:55Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
I'm with LHG, its the same with axolotls. You just make sure its big stones or little ones. About the only time i'd worry about gravel would be if I had a bubble-eye because I'm forever seeing them with gravel in their eye-sacs. Even then though, I'd gave sand or rocks, or marbles or something on the base

Just make sure whatever gravel you use is smooth, as spikey gravel is a problem even if its small enough to pass through

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 14-Mar-2006 13:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies