Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeGoldfish attacking koi?
sharstevie
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 1
Votes: 1
female canada
Hello and good morning, This is my first post. I have a 30 gallon tank and in it I have two 2 1/2" Shubunkins, and one 3" Koi. I recently added a Black Moore 2", and one 2" Ryunkin. At first the small Koi was acting nervous and afraid, hiding. After a day or two all the other fish were harrassing the Koi until I pulled him out and he is now in a 20 gallon hospital tank. My question is:is it normal for the goldfish to do this, or does it sound as if the Koi is sick in some way? He is swimming and eating but he still has his dorsal fin tight to his body.I also realize he may need a larger tank, and will rectify that very soon.Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you. Cordially Sharstevie.

Kindness is the languange that the deaf can hear and the blind can see.
Post InfoPosted 24-Aug-2008 16:18Profile PM Edit Report 
Joe Potato

---------------
-----
Fish Addict
Kind of a Big Deal
Votes: 309
male usa us-northcarolina
My guess is that with that many fish crammed in a 30 gallon, the goldfish decided to pick on the odd fish out. All of your goldies have that softball kind of shape whereas the koi is more streamlined. The clamped fins are probably the result of stress, both from being picked on and from the housing situation.

And you're right about needing a bigger tank or, much better, pond. Goldies and koi get BIG. Much bigger than you think.

That's a relatively full grown fancy goldfish. Comets and koi get even bigger. Despite what almost everybody thinks, they are not aquarium fish. They just get too damn big. They really deserve a pond. I'd say you have some decisions to make in the near future.

Hope this helps.
Post InfoPosted 24-Aug-2008 16:54Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
sharstevie
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 1
Votes: 1
female canada
Thanks Joe, I hadn't realized how big these fish grow, however I have been doing some reading and I am just beginning to realize how ignorant I am on the subject of "proper" care for my fish. I am very dismayed but I can assure you that I am re-thinking my entire situation, as I live in an apartment and a pond is not feasible. Any way thank you very much for your time and trouble, and also for the lovely picture of what a "well cared for goldfish should look like". Gratefully Sharstevie

Kindness is the languange that the deaf can hear and the blind can see.
Post InfoPosted 24-Aug-2008 17:07Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Joe Potato

---------------
-----
Fish Addict
Kind of a Big Deal
Votes: 309
male usa us-northcarolina
Glad I could be of service.

Don't worry about your lack of experience. We all start there. I made some absolutely horrid mistakes when I first started out and the people here on FP set me straight.

My advice to you? Read everything you can get your hands on. Find a reputable LFS and get advice there. If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask here. That's what we're here for.
Post InfoPosted 24-Aug-2008 17:18Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
Joe is right, we all made a few mistakes, I think the biggest mistakes are made involving goldfish, koi, and other large fish because of the belief that they can live in bowls.

My suggestion, look around town and see if anyone does have a pond. The koi may be harder to find a home for. They need lots and lots of space 1,000 gallons I believe is the general rule. Check local parks, large organizations like universities, even hospitals sometimes have a pond. They might be willing to adopt.

Then, come back and read up on what might work for your 30, there are lots of possibilities that will work well. And of course we're here to help .

^_^

Post InfoPosted 25-Aug-2008 01:53Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies