Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeHeating a Pond?
Fish Guy
-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 1254
Votes: 2
male canada
I have an extra submirsible heater that is rated for 40 to 70 gallon, but I was wondering would it eat up my 600 gallon pond a little bit. I was just hoping it would raise the pond temperature a little just so I could have some Paradise fish in there and a Chinese Hi Fin Banned Shark.
Post InfoPosted 06-May-2006 12:53Profile PM Edit Report 
Dolf
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 180
Votes: 46
male usa
First some questions: How many are a few degrees? How many watts is the heater? What is your night time low temp?
I used to heat my 100g pond in the winter. My low temps ranged from 45-55 degrees. I used a 100 watt heater, plumbed into the water flow to keep the temp above 60 degrees.
Post InfoPosted 07-May-2006 04:02Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Fish Guy
-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 1254
Votes: 2
male canada
Im not sure of the heater wattage,all I an see on it is that it's rated for 40-70 gallons. When i say a few degrees i just mean warm enough to house plecos etc..... In terms of the night time low temperature it could be anywhere from 0-8 during that night, but the temp is going up everyday. Right now its 1:30 in the morning here and its about 7 or 8C out.
Post InfoPosted 07-May-2006 06:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Dolf
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 180
Votes: 46
male usa
Sorry about the delay in getting back. IMO the heater would not be effective. If the heater were inline with your filtration I suspect you might get enough heat to extend your pleco's season in the pond. Of course, that doesn't mean you shouldn't try. Place it where you have the most current in the pond and check the temp in different spots for a few mornings in a row. At most you would only be out the electricity it takes to run the heater for a couple of days.
Post InfoPosted 11-May-2006 22:15Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies