Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeOutdoor fishs?
monkeyboy
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 375
Votes: 223
male usa
I'm looking for ideas to help out a friend who wants to build basicly an aquarium in ground outside. He wants to dig it to the deepest part to about 7 ft and then have shallow shelfs. and then is thinking about diggin down one side and basicly put in a viewing window to see in. trying to talk him out of that

And the fish that he wants to use, are more chiclids that could be kept outside all year and ones that would grow large.

He lives in Michinan. Where, well it snows alot during the winter and gets cold. Anybody?

Fish tanks are an expensive addiction
Post InfoPosted 04-May-2009 23:29Profile PM Edit Report 
riri1
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 435
Votes: 44
male
no cichlids can be kept out side in the winter where he lives most need like 70 at lowest..... the only thing he could put in there are natives....... sry dude.....
Post InfoPosted 05-May-2009 00:24Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
monkeyboy
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 375
Votes: 223
male usa
Thats what I figured. And I knew heating the water all winter long would be some what expensive.

We'll just have to see whats in the area and get ahold of them

Fish tanks are an expensive addiction
Post InfoPosted 05-May-2009 12:56Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
Kudos: 217
Votes: 471
female usa us-michigan
EditedEdited by kellyjhw
How wide is this friend planning on digging? He'd have to go pretty deep and wide to keep the pond from freezing through before winter is over in Michigan. I doubt 7 ft is deep enough. I have a cousin in Holly, MI. His pond is about 13-16 ft deep in the deepest end and I can't remember how wide. I remember him saying it almost froze over one year. He was ticked off because he just had it re-stocked with perch and bluegill. (Someone snuck on the property and fished him clean in one night!)
You are definitely right about the window. If he gets fish that get large, as you stated, it could slam into the glass and break it. (never underestimate a bubba fish!) Not to mention the weakness of the glass in winter. (pressure from the ice)

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 05-May-2009 23:00Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
The viewing window would likely have to be out of acrylic if you're going really big. Acrylic is pricier but it's what public aquariums use for this kind of job.

He could go for some of the native sunfishes. They're remarkably similar to cichlids.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 06-May-2009 06:32Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies