AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Freshwater Aquaria
 L# Coldwater, Watergardens, and Ponds
  L# Pond: Ways to prevent algae...?
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribePond: Ways to prevent algae...?
Tartar_Sauce
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 11
Votes: 0
Hello everyone! I just wanted to get your ideas about how to keep our pond clean; its about 800 gal. The fish did wonderful during our short cold snap, but we developed some wicked algae blooms all over...

We've kept the falls flowing except during freezing temps and we are about to introduce barley pads to aid in removal of this nasty gunk.

It's a slimy, bright green and grows in thick tendrils, if that helps. I assume its just plain 'ole algae, heh. We are looking into put a different falls feature with a bit more spread/force to circulate the water a bit more if that would help. But I wanted to get opinions before we go spending even more money/time on this. If i ever get a camera or something I'll try and post some pics.
Post InfoPosted 28-Feb-2006 00:17Profile PM Edit Report 
crusha
----------
Enthusiast
Fish Geek
Kudos: 183
Votes: 102
female australia
Hi Tartar Sauce,

How long has your pond been running, do you hve a bio-filter box on it?

From previous experience I have found that ponds take quite a few weeks to go through the cycle, we made the major mistake of taking all the water out, scrubbing the pond clean and starting from scratch which of course never helped.

Good luck with your algae problem.

Those who say they cant, Never will !!!
Post InfoPosted 28-Feb-2006 02:07Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Tartar_Sauce
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 11
Votes: 0
Well, we've been running the pond since last summer, heh. It might be due to the freaky weather we're having lately. (Oklahoma) with constant temp changes.

We have just scraped it out, but it grows right back in 2 days, heh. I personally don't think its as thick as it was now. The water is clear which is a good sign.

As for our filter, yes we are using a massive filter with pads and bio-balls for filtration. I've watched the current and it does circulate around thoroughly.

Of course our plants haven't 'revived' from winter yet which might be why the algae bloom is so bad, heh.
Post InfoPosted 28-Feb-2006 17:15Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
crusha
----------
Enthusiast
Fish Geek
Kudos: 183
Votes: 102
female australia
Gee we are at the other extreme here in "Oz" we are at the end of a hot summer, and sometimes the pond water can tend to go green during that time.

Whatever you do, dont empty it ... just perservere and it should right itself. The water being clear is the main thing.

Cheers
Crusha

Those who say they cant, Never will !!!
Post InfoPosted 01-Mar-2006 02:06Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
DeletedPosted 31-Jan-2015 11:37
This post has been deleted
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies