SubscribeSmall outdoor pond.
nthqldfish
----------
Fingerling
Kudos: 11
Votes: 13
male australia
Hi All,
I have built a small pond in backyard, part one of wife's insistance on landscaping.
It is about 150-200lts with constant water movement that has a inline sponge filter attached. The pond gets about 4 hours of arvo sunlight, which in summer gets pretty hot here. Gravel/sand going in today.
Q1. What would be the best fish? Cosidering temps(air) range from 40'c to 15'c at night in winter.
Q2. Can anyone recommend a smallish water lilly to provide shade in the pond?
Ta Rob and Lyndell

nthqldfish attached this image:

Too many Kid's, not enough Fish
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:22Profile PM Edit Report 
sirbooks

---------------
---------------
----------
Sociopath
Kudos: 5164
Votes: 932
male usa us-virginia
Most people just stick with goldfish and koi for their outdoor ponds, but your pond would be a little small for these fish. Judging by the air temperature range for your area, it seems like your winters aren't so cold that fish would have to be brought inside. Looks like you would be able to keep some hardy coolwater fish, such as white cloud minnows or weather loaches. I'm not sure what fish are commonly available in Australia, but I think it's safe to say that there are a number of them which stay small enough for the pond and would be able to stand the temp range. You could always try some native fish, if you have access to some that enjoy water conditions near to those of your pond.

The plants I'm not so good with. I know that there are various types of water lily plants which are available for pond use, and some are even sold in hardware/outdoor type stores.

And when he gets to Heaven, to Saint Peter he will tell: "One more Marine reporting, Sir! I've served my time in Hell."
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:22Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
butterflyfish
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 26
Votes: 0
male australia
I have an outdoor pond and live in australia. All i can tell you is that gold fish are good but don't use aquirium ones, get outdoors ones they are better suited to rapid condition chages probably like your pond. The people at the fish shop will tell you that aquirium ones can go outside(but take no notice) and with the size pond you have you can probably keep about 3 large ones.
I think it is nymphea water lillies that i have and they are good.

butterflyfish
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:22Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies