AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Freshwater Aquaria
 L# Coldwater, Watergardens, and Ponds
  L# What are good and bad fish to put with Goldfish?
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeWhat are good and bad fish to put with Goldfish?
emorr
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 29
Votes: 0
female usa
My friend had a 55 gallon with 5 HUGE goldfish in the tank. He wants to get rid of the goldfish, but doesn't have anywhere to put them, so he decided to build around the goldfish. What would be fish that would be a bad idea with the goldfish (Like, eat them) and what would keep out of these goldfishes way, and be a good Aquarium buddy? These Goldfish killed a pletco that he put in the tank and tore/ate it up infront of him. Any ideas?
Post InfoPosted 01-Mar-2006 02:01Profile AIM PM Edit Report 
bettachris

---------------
-----
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 4173
Votes: 452
male usa
well, if you guys know there is no room, why add more fish?

so my answer is nothing, as goldfish are hard to stock with anything(secuessfuly) and huge doesn't cut it, as these are still probably stunted, and will grow more.
Post InfoPosted 01-Mar-2006 02:13Profile Homepage Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Inkling
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 498
Votes: 11
female usa
Your friend is all ready fully stocked, in fact he probubly needs a bigger tank JUST for the goldies. Also, anything smaller than it would probubly be eaten. I agree wuth bettachris, don't put anything else in there.

Inky
Post InfoPosted 01-Mar-2006 02:24Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
aquapickle27
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 98
Votes: 55
male usa
If he really dislikes them have him talk to his LFS, and maybe he could trade. Or he could ask around and see if anyone wants them. I agree that no fish is really suitable, for the goldfish, and it is too full already. If he completely gets rid of them, then he could start fresh and find some cool fish that he enjoys.<><

†Aquapickle†
Post InfoPosted 01-Mar-2006 03:27Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2782
Votes: 98
female usa
Triple that. You shouldn't add anything to that tank and really you should be removing at least 2 of those goldfish to return to the store, give to someone with a much bigger tank, or give to someone with a pond. If they are the common goldfish sold as feeders not even 1 would be the best idea for a tank of only 55gallons. Like said above they probably even aren't at their full size and because of how they've been kept they are probably stunted and will not only never reach full size but will die an early death.
Post InfoPosted 01-Mar-2006 03:27Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
longhairedgit
---------------
----------
Fish Guru
Lord of the Beasts
Kudos: 1778
Votes: 29
male uk
EditedEdited by longhairedgit
Even if they dont dwarf ( they might not) they probably will get some ammonia spikes as they start to overload the filter, and sooner or later its curtains for them.
Post InfoPosted 01-Mar-2006 04:18Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
GirlieGirl8519
----------
Fish Master
*Malawi Planter*
Kudos: 1029
Votes: 35
female usa
Goldfish need huge tanks...or a pond. I think they are better for a cute little pond...only because they will have room to grow without stunting. They are coldwater fish and really shouldn't be kept with tropicals...though it happens.

*Kristin*
Post InfoPosted 01-Mar-2006 19:31Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies