Post Reply  New Topic
Subscribefish In pool?
xlinkinparkx
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 353
Votes: 2
male canada
I know It sounds stupid but I need to prove it to my dad, He wants to build a pond and I want to put fish in it , but it is way to shallow for our winters so he said that in the winter we could just put the fish in the pool, there is no chlorine traces in the pool after 2-3 days if you dont add any and my pool is huge so they will have more then enough space to swim around, thoughts? Thankyou.

10gallon: 8neons 5gallon: 1betta
1oto
2platys
Post InfoPosted 18-Jun-2006 00:18Profile PM Edit Report 
geminilyretail
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 28
Votes: 7
female usa
what fish were you thinking. some fish that people put in ponds really shouldnt stay over the winter.
Post InfoPosted 18-Jun-2006 01:22Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Garofoli
----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 143
Votes: 27
male usa
I have goldfish in my outdoor pond, where it freezes over completely!

Chris
Post InfoPosted 18-Jun-2006 01:31Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
crusha
----------
Enthusiast
Fish Geek
Kudos: 183
Votes: 102
female australia
Are you talking about a swimming pool? What size it and how are you going to remove them when summer comes again?

I just have this picture of goldfish swimming free in a huge swimming pool and you swimming after them with a net ... .

Those who say they cant, Never will !!!
Post InfoPosted 18-Jun-2006 03:14Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Inkling
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 498
Votes: 11
female usa
its probubly not a good idea to add fish to an established pool, as there are other chemicals, besides clorine that can become established from the lining. Also, you could be putting some extra stress onto the fish once you move them from your big pool to thier smaller pond.

Inky
Post InfoPosted 18-Jun-2006 03:50Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
xlinkinparkx
-----
Fish Addict
male canada
Ya its a big pool, I was thinking goldfish, and not in an established pool, First the pool will be drained a lil but they will still have polenty of space to swim, like alot alot. THe pool wont be established. Over here we stop our pools in september(chemically) and then I would only put them in, in november when it starts getting cold, The pond will be big just not deep. Ill find away to remove them(GOING FISHING!!)jks

Garofoli Wrote:
I have goldfish in my outdoor pond, where it freezes over completely!

How???

1oto
2platys
Post InfoPosted 18-Jun-2006 16:45Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
crusha
----------
Enthusiast
Fish Geek
Kudos: 183
Votes: 102
female australia
Well I guess the depth does make a lot of difference in how your going to remove them.

We once had to catch some koi that lived in a dam and we ended up having to use a prawning (shrimp) net to remove them. It was a good excercise in patience and perserverence.

They are really good at escaping the net when they have such a vast area.

Good Luck
Cheers- Crusha

Those who say they cant, Never will !!!
Post InfoPosted 19-Jun-2006 04:17Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
xlinkinparkx
-----
Fish Addict
male canada
So I can do it?

1oto
2platys
Post InfoPosted 19-Jun-2006 23:02Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
faeriana
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 39
Votes: 1
female canada
some things to think about...

if this an above ground pool or an inground..

do you not have a liner? when pools are closed for the fall/winter/spring season, chemicals are not supposed to be stopped completely; there are other chemicals (like someone else mentioned) for example; chemicals meant for dorment pools like the liner saver. the liner also absorbs chemicals as well. regardless of the pool being drained, there will still be residual chemicals. and how exactly are the fish going to get food if there is no plants and the pool cover is on?

what i have established for my pond in the winter is an indoor pond; which is a mold supported by a wood frame. it's relatively easy to maintain and to build; it sits in the corner of the basement, some of the pond plants are brought in as well into it. you can even use those huge rubbermaid bins as well.

Post InfoPosted 02-Jul-2006 20:02Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Dolf
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 180
Votes: 46
male usa
Why not just make the pond deeper so it doesn't freeze solid? Goldfish can be wintered in a pond with a surface freeze and long as a small area is kept open. My father's pond freezes over and he keeps goldies.
I would think that even with a water change, there will be enough residual harfull chemicals in the pool to harm your fish. If the pool is made of cement or shotcrete, forget putting fish in it. Concrete releases all sorts of toxic chemicals even after it has been cured. It may not kill them outright but it could burn their gills, blind them or drastically shorten their lives.
Post InfoPosted 03-Jul-2006 01:40Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies