Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeBarbs are bottomless pits
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
Kudos: 217
Votes: 471
female usa us-michigan
I've got a friend that has tiger barbs. He's been feeding them 2 times a day. In the morning, he finds Cabomba leaves all over the filter intake. So he's been watching closely and finds they like the stems, not the leaves. Now, he purchased his plants shortly after I purchased mine about a month ago. (similiar stuff, cabomba, frill, & java moss. He didn't like the scarlet temple or ?java fern? that I got. I digress.) The barbs nip at the frill, and moss, but when the lights go out, they tear into the cabomba. Is there something he can do to discourage this? Or at least keep the damage to a minimum. He's new to real plants and its freaking him out. I find this very amusing. He's tried giving them a third feeding before he goes to bed, but he still finds leaves in the morning.

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 18-Dec-2008 19:02Profile PM Edit Report 
cichlidaddicted
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 9
Votes: 0
If your friend wants to discourage his barbs from eating the plants, one thing he can do is add some sort of vegetable matter to their diet. IME, most barbs are quite herbivorous and should be fed a fair amount of greens, at least once every couple of days, otherwise they tend to wreak havoc on your delicate plants, such as your friend's cabomba. Maybe he can try feeding them sprulina flakes, or even some sheets of dried marine algae, which my clown barb absolutely relishes.

In addition, he should try buying some tougher plants, such as java fern, anubias, and amazon swords. They should be able to hold their own against his Peta-Propagandists
Post InfoPosted 19-Dec-2008 03:30Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
Kudos: 217
Votes: 471
female usa us-michigan
Thanks. I tried telling him that, but he thought I was nuts. I suggested the java fern, but he thinks mine is ugly. (I'll eventually post a photo link and find out if it really is a java fern.) Finding anubias and amazon swords around here is next to impossible unless you want to give up a arm or leg. Petsmart wants $7-$9 each for those plants, more if you buy them snailless (emerged). We've been tag-team comparitive shopping for these very plants. I've read somewhere that he can give them peas, zucchini, blanched spinach? Should he boil them first? and should it be boiled in tank water? I just know he's going to laugh at me when I suggest any of this.

Now as far as the marine algae... wouldn't there be algae on the java moss? Is it the same kind? I know mine has so much algae on it, in some spots it looks thick and black with it. (enough about me, this is about him)[But I think this is good info for me too, since I'll be getting black rubies soon.]

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 19-Dec-2008 07:19Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
I agree try green vegies. With the peas I always cook mine first then squash them into the tank. You could also try 'Iceberg lettuce" do not buy the loose packaged stuff it could be washed too much in chlorine water.
With the lettuce I use it raw I also cut the hard center part out. I fold it up and hold it down with a stone.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 19-Dec-2008 10:13Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
HOKESE
-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 478
Votes: 271
male australia
EditedEdited by hokese
YEAH THEY ARE GREEDY LITTLE PIGS,there bellys are bulging!and they eat just about anything that can fit in there tiny mouth!i dont normally keep barbs anymore,but ive got 2 at the moment,they WERE meant to be feeders for my cichlids,i put 10 into the tank,all the others got eaten,except these 2,they are super fast and smarter than my cichlids!plus now my cichlids totally have given up tryin to catch them,thats 3 green terrors,3 blue acaras,2 salvinis,that cant catch these 2 barbs(1 tiger and 1 gold barb),so now the barbs have doubled in size,and they seem to be loving it in there.i have to admit i dont mind them ether,i love the way how they clean up after the messy cichlids,they dart around getting all the smaller bits of food!but yeah they are little piggys
Post InfoPosted 20-Dec-2008 10:23Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Calilasseia

---------------
-----
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Panda Funster
Kudos: 2828
Votes: 731
male uk

Barbs are basically garbage compactors with fins. And as everyone else has already said, they like a decent amount of vegetable matter in the diet. Try the following to keep them happy:

[1] Buy some fresh peas. Make sure that they ARE fresh peas, from a proper greengrocer, and under NO circumstances use tinned peas, because these frequently contain additives that are NOT good for your Barbs!

[2] Carefully remove any outer integument from the peas, so that you have the inner flesh exposed.

[3] Boil them to soften them up a bit - not too much, you don't want to turn them to disintegrated mush!

[4] Let them cool down, then add them to the tank. Watch the Barbs demolish them at astonishing speed!

Some other greens are also good to try - if you can afford it, the odd spot of asparagus is also relished. I would avoid cabbages and other brassicas, as these contain mustard oils that will probably disagree with your fish, and which will also make the aquarium stink. If you use lettuce among your greens, avoid the "iceberg" lettuce as this is mostly water anyway.

I'm going to have to start boiling peas on a fairly regular basis now I have Arulius Barbs as of today. These things have appetites more usually associated with Oscars, and they're still only juveniles!

Panda Catfish fan and keeper/breeder since Christmas 2002
Post InfoPosted 25-Nov-2009 20:59Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies