L# Cyprinid Corner
  L# Beginning a Barb Tank
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeBeginning a Barb Tank
kaamodt
-----
Small Fry
female usa
So I am moving and having to start all over again and I am interested in barbs. I have a 20 gal high tank and was looking for suggestions on populating it. I really like long-finned fish in general and some of the barbs I have looked at are beautiful but I am worried about aggression being a problem. Any ideas?
Post InfoPosted 13-Aug-2007 06:58Profile PM Edit Report 
ScottF
---------------
Fish Addict
Addiction Hurts!!
Kudos: 330
Votes: 355
male usa
I have a 20g long full of Tiger Barbs and I wouldn't put a long finned fish in there for any amount of money. These Tiger Barbs, even in full shoal are nippers to the end. They even take extra long sniffs and looks at the oto cats I just put in there. They nibble and chew on my plants too, but not enough to kill them.

I would definitely not reccomend long finned fish with Tiger Barbs. now, if you intend to have the less agressive barbs, like Cherries, for instance, you could probably get away with some longer finned fish.

Since your tank is 20g tall, you will be somewhat limited in the number of fish you can have, due to the smaller surface area of water in that tank. It's all about the oxygenation!

Good luck!
Post InfoPosted 13-Aug-2007 17:07Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
BruceMoomaw
-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 490
Votes: 0
male usa
I can vouch for the fact that Rosy, Golden and Odessa barbs are not only beautiful but very peaceful toward small fish. (I'm not absolutely sure, however, that they wouldn't go after long trailing fins.) I also hear that Black Ruby barbs, like Tigers, can be nasty.
Post InfoPosted 18-Aug-2007 22:43Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
coltsfan
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 75
Votes: 6
male usa
Kaamodt,
How about cherry barbs? They aren't long finned but they are a very nice looking barb. And from what I have read they aren't very aggressive when kept in the right conditions. I am thinking of adding a few myself!

Justin

Colts Fan For Life
30g platy tank: 2 sunburst wag platys, 2 redtailed white calico platys, 2 red wag platys, 1 fry(not sure who it belongs to), 1 Golden CAE.
Bettas:1 VT male
Post InfoPosted 20-Aug-2007 19:58Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
BruceMoomaw
-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 490
Votes: 0
male usa
Cherry Barbs, I thought, went without saying -- they're not only totally peaceful, but they're far smaller than most other Barbs.
Post InfoPosted 21-Aug-2007 06:07Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
FishKeeperJim
----------
Big Fish
Member MTS Anonymous
Kudos: 208
Votes: 186
male usa
I am in a similiar circumstance, getting ready to stock a 45 gallon bowfront. And I was considering Green Tiger Barbs, and Corydoras. What other fish would work well to fill out the tank? Also are the Barbs and Cories compatible?

mts.gif" border="0"> I vote do you?
My Tanks at Photobucket
Post InfoPosted 21-Aug-2007 22:58Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
tinfoil
----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 252
Votes: 1
male netherlands
barbs and corys are a good match.

In combination with tiger barbs I'd go for fish that can handle a little playfulness around them.
(Larger) tetras are a good match, as well as some of the larger rasbora species. Harlequin rasboras are also a possible match.

Why not limit yourself to tigers alone?
7-10 tigers and an RTBS or a rainbow shark works like a charm.
The shark will keep the tigers in a tight school and at the same time is sturdy enough to withstand being "bullied" by the tigers.

I kept 7 tigers and a flying fox in a 15 gal for a few years and the combination was fabulous.
Give the shark a piece of driftwood to hide underneath and you've got the best tank you could wish for!

No need for the TV anymore.
Post InfoPosted 22-Aug-2007 12:12Profile Homepage MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies