SubscribeCan I keep an RTS?
Mitchee
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 75
Votes: 99
female canada
Hi

I have a 42g tank with 3 zebra danios, 2 rosy barbs, 6 tiger barbs and 6 redeye tetras. Would an RTS be OK with these tankmates? I have plenty of plastic plants and Malaysian driftwood that provides some cover.

Thanks.

*Mitch*
Post InfoPosted 02-May-2007 04:06Profile PM Edit Report 
lysaer
----------
Hobbyist
Kudos: 57
Votes: 2
male usa
Hmm. You'd need to add in some rock caves for certain, and even then I think you might very well end up with a RTS, 2 rosy barbs, and 6 tiger barbs when the RTS gets older and if you miss a feeding.

And off topic, but you need more zebras. They're best when they have a school of at least 8.

Listen! Do you smell that?
Post InfoPosted 02-May-2007 05:02Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
I think you should fill in your schools before adding a RTS. Rosy barbs are schooling fish as are the zebra danios like lysaer mentioned. Having had rosy barbs I know how active they are and would prefer to see them in a larger tank. If you really want a RTBS I'd suggest looking into a larger tank (55 or even better a 75). IMO the 42 is just too small to be keeping the fish you want and in fact already have.

What are the dimensions of this tank?

^_^

Post InfoPosted 02-May-2007 07:50Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Mitchee
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 75
Votes: 99
female canada
Thanks for the replies! Babelfish, my tank is a hex and it's 24" high and at it's widest it's also 24". Lysaer,the only reason I have the danios is because they were my original cycling fish from almost 2 years ago and for some unknown reason, I haven't seen anymore danios at my local WalMart (my only lfs!!) I guess I'll have to give up the idea of having an RTS.

*Mitch*
Post InfoPosted 02-May-2007 11:47Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
lysaer
----------
Hobbyist
Kudos: 57
Votes: 2
male usa
Ack. You didn't mention it's a hex tank. If it's a hex tank it's a DEFINITE no on the RTS. They need lots of swimming room and can grow to be 6-7" long, sometimes even bigger. A hex tank is definitely not a good environment for them.

Babel makes a good point, you're really pushing your stock with the -type- of tank you have. The inch per gallon "rule" - while under debate - is just a suggestion, but you need to look more at your surface area not just how many gallons of water you have. A hex tank tends to be taller rather than longer/wider, so has much less surface area.

Personally, I'd either get a larger tank like Babel suggested (a 55g regular at a minimum), or find someone to take your RBs and finish up your school of zebras. You just don't have room to school up both types with the TBs in there already.

Listen! Do you smell that?
Post InfoPosted 02-May-2007 18:17Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies