SubscribeCherry Barb colouring and behaviour
Mitchee
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 75
Votes: 99
female canada
Hi

I have a cherry barb that when I first got him/her was a very light reddish pink colour. After about 1 month, it changed completely to a silver colour. Now, it's a very vibrant red. Is this typical of a cherry barb? Also, are they algae eaters? I have some green algae on my driftwood and this little fish is just chomping away at it constantly.

As to their behaviour, it was my understanding that they were quite peaceful fish, but recently I've noticed that it chases away all tankmates, red-eyed tetras, danios and tiger barbs. No damage is being done, but not quite sure what to make of this.

Your comments please?

*Mitch*
Post InfoPosted 23-Aug-2007 01:16Profile PM Edit Report 
tinfoil
----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 252
Votes: 1
male netherlands
EditedEdited by tinfoil
your cherry barb's color change is nothing to worry about.
Usually in the shop they are a pinkish red, which slowly turns into deep red as they grow older and are being kept in a proper environment. The pale color can only be explained to be panic or stress, which might have been the case when you just got it.

Cherries will certainly eat algae; all barbs are vegetarians and will eat algae and, if there's nothing else present, plants.
You'll do your cherry a favour when you give him chopped spinach or vegetable flakes.
You'll also do him a favour when you buy 3 or 4 more, preferably females. From the red color you describe, you've got a male now, so add 3 females (brown ones) and another male to create a school. All barbs are schoaling fish, regardless what anyone says. You'll see that your cherry will focus on his school more than on the other fish once you give him some "colleagues".

Good luck and enjoy them; cherries are very nice fish.
Post InfoPosted 23-Aug-2007 13:09Profile Homepage MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Mitchee
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 75
Votes: 99
female canada
Thanks for replying Tinfoil! I'm happy to know that there's nothing to worry about the colour changes and also how to differentiate between males and females. He is certainly a beautiful fish and I'm on the lookout for some friends for him!

*Mitch*
Post InfoPosted 24-Aug-2007 01:15Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
kantankerousmind
----------
Hobbyist
Kudos: 34
Votes: 9
male usa
I often hear about cherries changing color due to stress from what i gather its very normal..
I give my cherries spirulina flakes and they devour it.

i also keep cherries with zebra danios and number are the secret their .. if you increase the females and add a male it will calm him down significantly...

basically everything tinfoil wrote. i just wanted to back em up cause it dead on.
Post InfoPosted 24-Aug-2007 01:35Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
fishmonster
----------
Big Fish
Oh My Heck!
Kudos: 88
Votes: 73
male usa
I love cherries, they are awesome fish. I have a school of 5 right now in my 10 gallon tank. They and the 4 ottos devored the algae in my tank and the cherries went after the baby snails too.. hehe

Thanks for your input as always, Shane
http://thetanklog.blogspot.com/ - [ Thanks to ScottF ]
http://www.natureaquariumclubofutah.com/main.html
Post InfoPosted 02-Sep-2007 01:29Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
littlefish37
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 0
Votes: 0
I have the same problem as mitchee. My new male cherry barb is chasing one of my male platies. It doesn't seem to do much damage or stress the platy out too much, but I don't think it's a good thing long term. My problem is I don't think I have room in my tank to get more cherry barbs. I've got a 20g with 6 cories, 2 otos, 2 platies, and a cherry barb. It's pretty full. I also thought cherry barbs were supposed to be peaceful and fearful of other cherry barbs, so I'm a bit confused. Help please???
Post InfoPosted 02-Sep-2007 05:02Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies