Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeDwarf Neon Rainbows
ajm558
Small Fry
Kudos: 9
Votes: 0
usa
Hi:

I just added 2 m/f pair of dwarf neon rainbows to a 28 gallon bowfront already stocked with 5 Bleeding Heart Tetras and 2 False Julii Corys. Upon entry into the tank, the two male rainbow immediately went after each other in a scrum, only to be separated 2 hours later after an aggressive alpha male was established and the loser had half of his tail nipped off. Has anyone ever heard of such behavior in rainbows? All literature says this breed is very peaceful but the males tend to offend the females with a LOT of attention.

To add insult to injury, one of the Tetras is bullying the lesser male rainbow. I am not much worried about infection with this guy as the tank is immaculate. I just found the behavior of fighting to be very odd.

ajm
Post InfoPosted 04-Feb-2011 02:36Profile PM Edit Report 
ajm558
Small Fry
Kudos: 9
Votes: 0
usa
UPDATE: The alpha male rainbow is not stopping with his torment of the lesser male rainbow. This has been going on for two days now. Should I remove the lesser male to save him from ruin?

ajm
Post InfoPosted 04-Feb-2011 16:17Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
I'd suggest trying to take the non dominant male back to the store you purchased him from and ask to exchange it for a female. Usually when there is one very dominant male having more females and fewer males can help reduce the tensions.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 08-Feb-2011 03:49Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies