Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeFin Nipping
General Hague
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 81
Votes: 3
male usa
I have Crossocheilus siamensis and Puntius denisonii in my fish tank. 1 of my Puntius denisonii has been getting fin nipped by the other Puntius denisonii and Crossocheilus siamensis. I have a 10 gallon tank that is completely empty not being used. Should I put that single Puntius denisonii in that 10 gallon tank? And what should I put in the tank? (gravel, live plants, rocks) and for water should I take some from the 20 gallon or just put in water from the sink? This 10 gallon has had fish in before, but it has been idle so any microbes in it are probably dead. I would need to buy a filter and heater for the tank since I don't have those items any more.
Post InfoPosted 09-Nov-2007 09:54Profile PM Edit Report 
Joe Potato

---------------
-----
Fish Addict
Kind of a Big Deal
Votes: 309
male usa us-northcarolina
How many of the Denisonii barbs do you have? Like other barbs, if not kept in a sufficient number, the weakest one tends to get bullied.

Putting it in a ten gallon should only be a measure of last resort. These fish are big and active. It would be like a 6 inch torpedo in a small cage and has a better than even chance of hurting itself by ramming into the glass. Transferring water from the 20 gallon won't help it the 10 gallon cycle faster. The water itself contains very few bacteria; it is mostly the filter and (especially) the gravel that acts as the biofilter. You wouldn't need a heater -- they are a coolwater fish. Frankly, it is probably just a better idea to try to return it to the LFS or, if you have the money and the space, expand the school.

Now to the next question: are all these fish in the 20 gallon you mentioned? If they are, you should know that they all get too big to be kept in there long term. The SAE shouldn't be kept in anything less than a 30 gallon (bigger if possible) and the Denisonii barbs should at the very least have a 55, with 75 being better and 125+ being optimal.
Post InfoPosted 09-Nov-2007 18:02Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
General Hague
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
EditedEdited by General Hague
yeah, they will outgrow the tank. They are about 1.5" from head to tail right now. They will eventually become 5.5" or so. Maybe next year I will get a bigger tank (55G minimum, but I'd probably get bigger, probably 90G max). If I don't get a bigger tank, then I would sell them back to the store for store credit. I don't think they would buy that one Puntius denisonii back though cause of the nipping.l The top part of his tail fin is completely missing the yellow and black spot.
Post InfoPosted 09-Nov-2007 18:14Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
General Hague
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
Too late, it died. Cause with his top tail fin being ripped, it couldn't swim too well. And so I found him dead now stuck between rock and undergravel filter. Dang nab it, $30 US down the drain. Also on ebay I found someone who lives not too far away selling his 90 gallon tank. I put $80 on it. I think it comes with the tank glass, stand, and I think also the filters, lights and heater and that. And also 10 freshwater fish. I may sell those fish, he doesnt include in the description what kind of fish they are. There is still 1 day left on the bid though. Also has to be paid for with cash which I got.
Post InfoPosted 09-Nov-2007 19:00Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Joe Potato

---------------
-----
Fish Addict
Kind of a Big Deal
I'm sorry to hear that. I'd go ahead and give your water chemistry a check if you haven't already.

And did you get these guys for $30 a pop? Holy cow! That's expensive! You must really like them.

It's good you know that you're planning on a bigger tank, especially when these guys get bigger. They look AMAZING in a big tank. The colors really stand out.
Post InfoPosted 10-Nov-2007 01:53Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Brengun

----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 187
Votes: 110
female australia au-queensland
First thing you need to do is get another filter and put it in the big tank so it starts collecting all the microbes it needs.
I would also steal some gravel, plants and water from the big tank to put in the smaller hospital tank so the cycle is shorter.
If you have a badly fin nipped fish it is often not that which kills it, it is the stress and starvation of being bullied. In an emergency, get yourself a brood net, hang it on the inside of the main tank and put the bullied fish into it. Paint melafix onto the wounds before you put the fish in the net. Add bits of plant for somewhere to hide.

The other option is to watch closely and see if the bully is just one fish. Often a timeout in the net will steady its agressiveness.
Post InfoPosted 10-Nov-2007 02:21Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
General Hague
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
EditedEdited by General Hague
There is still 15 hrs and 52 minutes left on the bid. I found out that this does not only include the 90 gallon tank, but also a 65 gallon hex tank. Hmm, I don't really want the 65. Maybe I can sell that or give it away to a friend. I'm still winning the bid at $80. That is dirt cheap compared to buying all that stuff at a store. So I hope I win this.

Edit: Also for that 1 that died, he was very passive. The other two are active. So yeah, he probably died from the stress?
Post InfoPosted 10-Nov-2007 03:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Joe Potato

---------------
-----
Fish Addict
Kind of a Big Deal
EditedEdited by Joe Potato
Hmm, I don't really want the 65. Maybe I can sell that or give it away to a friend.

Post InfoPosted 10-Nov-2007 04:02Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
ScottF
---------------
Fish Addict
Addiction Hurts!!
Kudos: 330
Votes: 355
male usa
sorry for your loss GH. With my Puntius Tetrazona, I have found that they do much better kept in schools.... Maybe the Denison would do better with a shoal??

again, sorry the guy didn't make it!
Post InfoPosted 11-Nov-2007 01:02Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Joe Potato

---------------
-----
Fish Addict
Kind of a Big Deal
Maybe the Denison would do better with a shoal??

When young, they enjoy the company of conspecifics, but they tend to become more independent as they age. I think it would be sufficient if only the one was replaced.
Post InfoPosted 11-Nov-2007 04:40Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
General Hague
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
Do you think these fish could get along with larger fish in a 90 gallon tank?

The other fish are 2 Green Severums, 1 Yellow Electirc Cichlid, 2 Common Plecos, 1 Blue Gourmi, and 1 fish I haven't indenfied yet that is about the same length as the gourmi, but is smaller.
Post InfoPosted 13-Nov-2007 08:45Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies