L# Fish that can live with danio
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeFish that can live with danio
al_e
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 2
Votes: 0
I have a 10 gallon tank with 3 zebra danio in it, and i want to stock some more but keep the danio. what fish can live along side these? thanks
Post InfoPosted 12-May-2006 21:08Profile PM Edit Report 
Two Tanks
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 328
Votes: 13
female usa
Ten gallons is really a bit small for danios, since they are very fast and active swimmers. They are also, schooling and need to be in larger groups than the three you have, however in your ten you could actually add two more danios, and not be overstocked. Since danios school with others of their species regardless of coloration, you could add a couple of blue danios, or gold danios, if you now have zebras. I have danios in my 29 gallon, and they are different colorations, but are doing fine. I would not add any other fish to the tank, other that the danios.
Post InfoPosted 13-May-2006 01:36Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
al_e
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 2
Votes: 0
thank you for the advice
Post InfoPosted 13-May-2006 02:21Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
pookiekiller12
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 633
Votes: 41
male usa
If your filtration is above average i would add s smaller cories. But the safe bet is to just to maintain your stock level.
Post InfoPosted 13-May-2006 06:50Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Littlecatjoe

---------------
Fish Guru
Kudos: 587
Votes: 3
canada
Actually, Zebra Danios are schoaling fish and not schoolers. They tend to not stay together as a group unless startled or threatened, and can do fine in a tank with only one or two other buddies to keep them company.

I would also recommend keeping them in a tank with a larger area for them to get optimal swimming space in, but a ten gallon is fine for 3 to start off in, and most likely a larger tank will find it's way to you sooner or later...

I would keep Danios with other smaller-size, active fish like Tetras or Rasboras. Maybe Glowlight or Lemon tetras or Harlequin or Red-Line Rasboras? (Rasboras tend to school more than other Cyprinids..) Something that keeps more to the mid-level range would be nice as Danios stick near the top.... Make sure you keep on top of your cleaning though, ten gallon tanks can be hard to keep stable and tend to crash quickly if neglected for too long. For this reason I wouldn't add Cories (or other "sensitive" fish) to a ten gallon tank, period.

Good luck with your Danios, they really are a great little fish!!
L.
Post InfoPosted 13-May-2006 15:32Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
juwel-180
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 212
Votes: 17
male uk
i have 7 in my 40 gallon. i keep them with neon tetras, lamb chop rasbora, 2 dwarf gouramis and a false flying fox. oh and 3 shrimp.

this is a great little fish but if u could put them in a bigger tank would be better as these little fish can move fast and like to chase. I would not add any fish that has long fins as the zebra danio can some times be a bit of a fin nipper.
Post InfoPosted 13-May-2006 18:24Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies