Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeHarlequin Rasbora
GobyFan2007
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 363
Votes: 65
male usa
Hi All! I love how the Harlequin Rasboras school! I originally wanted tetras, but upon seeing the Harlequins, i was changed. I got myself a few, and now i love them! THe only problem is, that one of them is an outcast, and he dosent hang out with the group as much. He hides in the shadows and just stays put. I have always noticed that with the even number of fish, one is always an outcast. I originally had four, but now i added 3 and got 7, an odd number, and i thought that the loner will school. I was wrong. I think he was just so set on not schooling with the other 3 fish, that even with perfect numbers, he might not......

I will have some pix up and running in a few days. They really are like beautiful jewels. They tuxedo of black is soo cool, especially at night!

Thanks!

><> ~=!Vote Today!=~ <><
-----> View My Dragons <-----
Post InfoPosted 04-Dec-2007 23:48Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Report 
BruceMoomaw
-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 490
Votes: 0
male usa
Try the "Lamb Chop" (Espei) Rasboras -- the Harlequins' close cousin, with a narrower black wedge on its side. Their rose-red coloration is usually much deeper and more intense than that of the Harlequins -- although I notice that some washed-out ones are starting to appear on the market, probably due to excessive fish-farm inbreeding as happened to Glowlight Tetras -- and, when properly colored, they are absolutely gorgeous against a black background. (They are, however, distinctly more delicate than the Harlequins, which in my experience are very tough little fish.)
Post InfoPosted 05-Dec-2007 06:43Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
GobyFan2007
----------
Fish Addict
male usa
EditedEdited by GobyFan2007
Well, i have gotten a mix of them, as i thought they all looked the same. The Espei was there, but it thought it was just a price scam. Oops! Better go baack and get a few!

Well, my Harlequins are schooling somewhat now, but are really loose, as there is no big fish around. The Dwarf Gourami is not really bothering them, and they seem relaxed. The outcast is not there anymore! Ill try to get some ppix soon!

EDIT: I think i got half espeis, and half Harlequins. One half is ddep red, and the other isnt.....As bright......

><> ~=!Vote Today!=~ <><
Post InfoPosted 06-Dec-2007 03:08Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
ScottF
---------------
Fish Addict
Addiction Hurts!!
Kudos: 330
Votes: 355
male usa
I cant wait to see pics. I was thinking of Harleys for my big tank once I get it going... I love how they look together as well...
Post InfoPosted 06-Dec-2007 04:03Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
GobyFan2007
----------
Fish Addict
male usa
Ok, i found out that i dont have a mixed group, but a rather nice looking group. I personally like the Harlequins better than the Espeis, but thats just bcause they look so formal in their tuxedos!

><> ~=!Vote Today!=~ <><
Post InfoPosted 06-Dec-2007 06:13Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Joe Potato

---------------
-----
Fish Addict
Kind of a Big Deal
Votes: 309
male usa us-northcarolina
Well, my Harlequins are schooling somewhat now, but are really loose, as there is no big fish around.

You'll find that they won't school nearly as tightly as tetras, even with larger fish present. A lot of cyprinids don't. They're more accurately defined as "shoalers" than "schoolers".
Post InfoPosted 06-Dec-2007 06:16Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
GobyFan2007
----------
Fish Addict
male usa
Oh wow.....I thought they schooled even better than tetras! In the tanks at my LFS, they were the best schoolers ive ever seen!

And now i know the difference between shoal and school!

><> ~=!Vote Today!=~ <><
Post InfoPosted 06-Dec-2007 23:26Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies