Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeRainbow fish experience
Gourami
---------------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 477
Votes: 1
male usa
So i picked up three turqouise rainbows today on sale for only $6.99. Normally they are $14.99 so not a bad deal. I plan on getting three more next payday to complete the school because they are supposed to be still on sale. The guy at the LFS says they havn't sold many of them since they got them. My question is will rainbow fish school with other rainbow fish, or do they tend to stick with the same colors? Also I have these three in with my school of tiger barbs, should I be worried about anything? There is 11 tiger barbs so they tend to stick to them selves. But they can be a bit nippy sometimes.
Post InfoPosted 08-Jun-2009 04:32Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Report 
Gourami
---------------
Mega Fish
male usa
Up date: Its been a few hours since they were released into the tank. The tiger barbs are being very nippy so far. They are chasing them around every so often with 5+ tiger barbs after one rainbow at a time. You guys think this will die down, or is it not a good sign? I have other tanks they could go in, I've got ten tanks in total. But this is the tank they were meant for.
Post InfoPosted 08-Jun-2009 05:26Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
riri1
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 435
Votes: 44
male
how big are the rainbows and how big are the tiger barbs??????? if u have a larger tank australian rainbows would be better they get larger and more aggressive than the wimpy little toqurise....... i had the same kind of setup when i was still in to comm tanks and i had a group of 6 rainbows and 15 tigers and the rainbows beat up the tigers if they tryed to mess with them i started out with 30 tiger barbs and in like 5 months was down 2 15.........
Post InfoPosted 08-Jun-2009 07:13Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Gourami
---------------
Mega Fish
male usa
The rainbows are bigger then the tiger barbs right now. I ended up taking them out because the tiger barbs chased them every time they came out of hiding.
Post InfoPosted 08-Jun-2009 22:01Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Ironhand74
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 69
Votes: 295
male usa
Out of all the bows I have, the M. lacustris is by far the most physical when pushed to that edge, they push back.
The numbers is about all the barbs have in their favor, bows are faster, more stamina, and they don't have a stomach for a brain. Probably a move for the best taking them out of the barb tank, get the school together, let them establish as a school, then perhaps reintroduce them if you so choose.
As riri mentioned, large tank as in LONG.... 5-6 ft would be good fare to start with, nice find also, still over $20 in my area in the few shops that can get them.

Good luck
J.
Post InfoPosted 11-Jun-2009 06:20Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
ScottF
---------------
Fish Addict
Addiction Hurts!!
Kudos: 330
Votes: 355
male usa
I would be inclined to think that once you get a bigger shoal of rainbows, your TB's will go back to harrassing each other and leave them alone. I have two dwarf neon rainbows in a 55g with probably 20+ TB (mostly small youth) along with 12 silver tipped tetras. There's plenty of chasing and what not, but everyone seems to keep to their species, no real serious nipping.

I am curious, how big is your tank? I have mine in a 4ft long 55g so there's plenty of room to romp.
Post InfoPosted 13-Jun-2009 12:59Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Gourami
---------------
Mega Fish
male usa
Mine are in a 55 gallon aswell, but the tiger barbs still didn't take too kindly to them.
Post InfoPosted 14-Jun-2009 10:42Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
zoha3492
Small Fry
Kudos: 0
Votes: 0
female uk ca-ontario
Hi, in my quest for looking for good community fish, i've sumbled over a man-made fish that im iffy about. To me it looks like a Zebra Danio with a color change.

Im going to get Zebra Danios, but my girlfriend wants me to get these Glofish because they're pretty. I have no problem with them, but I wanted to know what you guys thought of them. Its not a natural fish. They sell at walmart, but not at Petsmart and i dont know about Petco.
Post InfoPosted 23-Sep-2014 05:42Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies