L# Pages: 1, 2
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeTankmates for Zebra Danios
atryeu
Fingerling
Kudos: 15
Votes: 4
female usa us-washington
Yeah, they have been a lot of fun so far They recently started playing in the bubble stream from the small wand I have in there.. it's so funny watching them play around in them LoL

And yeah, I got into a big fight with the LFS guy over the whole "guideline" thing. OMG it got me so mad... even after stating I had done the research online ahead of time to make sure I got a fishy that would do well with my setup, he still had to force the issue that I was overcrowding the tank -_- They didn't like it so much when I turned it over on them and brought up the fact that a lot of their tags for the fish are all mislabeled and show the wrong growth sizes, temperature requirements, tempraments, etc for the fishies... Guess that's what they get and they lost a customer... I'm going to the other LFS for supplies now instead.

Wish I could get a good picture of the fishies. They sure are pretty and my plants are all grown and have filled out the tank bottom nicely... If only I could get rid of the algae now! LoL
Post InfoPosted 10-Jan-2012 00:39Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
Most LFS aren't used to people who do their research, I am surprised however that when you stated that you did your research they didn't start to back off.

Smart of you to bring up their tags! At least they were trying to teach you about stocking though. I've overheard conversations between employees and customers that made my skin crawl.

Some algae is normal and healthy in a tank, It depends what type it is. You can try stepping up water changes or add a second change per week. New tanks will take some time to settle down in the algae department. If you've got any direct sun on the tank that's going to make things difficult.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 11-Jan-2012 22:54Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
atryeu
Fingerling
female usa us-washington
EditedEdited 12-Jan-2012 00:33
I did complain about the guy to the cashier that same day and she said he was new and nobody really liked him anyway. LoL I might check back in there one day and shop there again if the guy isn't working there anyway. It is good that he was checking on my tank setup and such, but he shouldn't have forced the issue like he did -_-

The algae is just odd... I didn't have this many problems with it in the past. Most of it is this greenish algae that doesn't like to scrub off very well. I have one of those little black scrubbers (not the soft foamy ones) that helps, but it sure is annoying how quickly it ends up all over again. I wipe down the front of the tank every week with my water change. I only do the sides and back every other week or so though. It gets on the plants too and doesn't like to scrape off very well. I've tried to ID it online but didn't have much luck. There are so many types of green algae o.0

Hehe, forgot to mention the tank rarely sees the light of day. The sun doesn't hit my window much during the day, and the tank is on the far side of the room where the light doesn't reach anyway. The only light over there is from my room's light which I do turn on in the evening once it gets dark enough to need it and it stays on for 5-10 hours depending how long I'm up. I did have a 10g tank near the window in the past and it never had any problems with major algae growth (my plants sure grew well though.. up one side, across the surface and down the opposite side LoL). My betta really seemed to enjoy the way the plant grew LoL
Post InfoPosted 12-Jan-2012 00:29Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
atryeu
Fingerling
female usa us-washington
OMG, I was watching tv an hour ago and during a commercial I was watching my fishies and saw something odd... I went over to look and there was a 1/2 inch Columbian Tetra in there I wonder how many others are hiding in the plants... I remember a couple weeks ago seeing some fry get caught in the gravel vac but this is the first I've seen of any little guys since o.0 Guess I better get a 2nd tank going soon as I can and once they get a bit bigger start checking the water once a week again instead of once every other week LoL
Post InfoPosted 14-Jan-2012 06:14Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
! baby tetras! I knew they came from somewhere, just didn't know they came from your tank! congrats, hope you can get another tank set up!

I've got that same hard, no make that near impossible to remove algae in my tank. I have a magnet scrubber that I give a serious work out every now and then but it rarely makes it budge. I believe the recommended removal process requires use of a razor blade (though not on acrylic tanks!). You could try poking through threads in planted, or search for algae on the site, I'm sure I remember various posts covering most of the various types of algae that pop up. I've just left it, it's not bothered my plants too much, and since the tanks are in a somewhat happy stable situation (if you don't count the krib that jumped out the other day ) I'm not really in that much of a hurry to make any drastic moves.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 17-Jan-2012 00:14Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
atryeu
Fingerling
female usa us-washington
My scrubber is a black scratchy one. I forget the name of the stick thing it came on but it does work very well. I can't always get all of the algae off the tank walls though. It's hard to see while I'm right there cleaning it and I never spot where I missed until later on It's mostly the plants that I have trouble with. The algae is covering a lot of them and I can't scrape it off without damaging the plants very easily

I've only seen the 1 little guy so far still. He hangs around one area of the tank but he's trying so hard to explore. Today I seen him sneaking up behind another fish and try to nip it's tail but it passed out of it's "safety zone" and had to zip back to the corner really quick LoL There has to be more than 1 in there, but I haven't seen any others peaking out from the plants anywhere.
Post InfoPosted 20-Jan-2012 03:25Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
# Pages: 1, 2
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies