Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeTiger Barb dilemma
Mitchee
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 75
Votes: 99
female canada
So, here's my problem. I currently have 2 tiger barbs in my main tank along with 6 redeyed tetras and 1 zebra danio. I do not want to increase my tiger barb population as I'm waiting for my all my current stock to die out. My dilemma is that I have one tiger barb that is continually picked on by the other. I have him in one of those small floating isolation tanks right now. He spends a week or two in this tank, and as soon as I release him , he's immediately picked on by the other barb. He gets beat up and I have to put him back in the isolation tank until his fins grow back. When I try to release him back into population, the whole cycle repeats itself. This is not a life for the little guy.

I'm wondering if I could take a chance and move him to my 10g guppy tank. He's weaker and not showing any signs of aggression however, would this move be too risky?

Your opinions and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

*Mitch*
Post InfoPosted 13-Feb-2008 02:03Profile PM Edit Report 
Ironhand74
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 69
Votes: 295
male usa
Hey Mitchee
Yeah, the tigers do tend to get a bit "nippy" when kept in groups smaller than 6 of their own kind, usually best to keep them in schools so the aggression-roughness is diffused.
Is there any show of aggression from the Dom. barb toward the tetras and Danio while the Sub. in in isolation??
Can't say for sure if putting the Sub. in your 10g guppy tank would be the best overall, I'd kinda be concerned about him getting after the guppies....risky, maybe. I would give the Sub. some time to heal and regain some strength, for sure, unless the tiger population is increased, as you have already noticed, the cycle will probably continue until the Sub. is harassed to death by gradual weakening.
If your stone-set against getting more barbs, probably best thing to do is take them back to the LFS.
OH, before I forget , keep an eye out for fin rot, constant injury to fins may lead to this kind of illness.

Hope everything works out & good luck !

J
Post InfoPosted 13-Feb-2008 02:46Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Mitchee
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 75
Votes: 99
female canada
Thanks for replying Ironhand74! The dominant barb does chase the tetras and danio on occasion but they chase him right back! I've also noticed that since he's been the solo barb, his colour has changed quite dramatically. He's now a very vibrant orange, particularly around his snout which brings out his black markings. He's quite stunning actually! Too bad he's a bully!

I really may have no choice but to increase the barb population as I can't let my weaker barb live out his life in an isolation tank. Giving him to an LFS is not possible. All I have here is a chain store and that's a fate worse than death.

*Mitch*
Post InfoPosted 13-Feb-2008 05:13Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Ironhand74
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 69
Votes: 295
male usa
Generally, I agree
returning to a chain store..
maybe another tank all together ??? that would probably be the end of the finnage on the tetras and the danio if a shoal of tigers were assembled in that current tank......
aaaahhhhhhh.... the throws of fishkeeping....lol
I had 9 tigers there were a few isolated incidents of rough-housing, but nothing really serious, the rainbow shark. tho sorely outnumbered, still dominated all lol
When tigers get colored-up, they are quite striking, IMO, if the tiger barbs weren't so pesky, rough-playing, obnoxious, nippy-feisty , they just might be one of the best fish to keep all around!!

hope to see pics of the new shoal soon , hehe

J.
Post InfoPosted 13-Feb-2008 05:59Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies