SubscribeTiger Barbs: fun fish to watch
ScottF
---------------
Fish Addict
Addiction Hurts!!
Kudos: 330
Votes: 355
male usa
I have to tell you, the longer I have these little Tiger Barbs, the happier I am that we got them in the first place. I know they aren't the greatest community fish, which is why I have decided to just keep the 20g as a species tank for TB's. But, they can provide a TON of entertainment just watching their antics. They dart and chase each other almost ceaselessly. It's fun to watch them "stalk" each other from afar then "pounce" out of nowhere... They are almost like a cross between kittens and Jack Russell Terrier pups, too dang funny! My 5 yr old son (who chose the "tiger fish" in the first place) loves to sit and watch them.

The biggest of the remaining regular TBs (only 2 remained after the great Ich scurge of June/July 2007) is the bully. At one point yesterday, he had the other regular TB, and the three new Albinos all cowering in the plants, off to the sides of the tank while he basically swam guard around the open water areas. Too funny. It did concern me for the stress levels of the new fish but once I fed them, the big guy calmed down. Things seem to be better today.

I think once I fill the shoal out, they will be even better off. I intend to grab 3 Green Tiger Barbs, and two more regular ones, over time. I want to go slow so I don't cause a mini cycle. It took me long enough to get this tank cycled in the first place and I don't want to go down that road again! It would be nice to have smoe sort of bottom feeder/algae eater. But, with 10 TB's I will be full in a 20g, and my gravel/substrate is fairly edgy and rough, not so good for Corys. And my plastic plants aren't so great for Otos, so I will just stick with the TB's.
Post InfoPosted 26-Jul-2007 03:57Profile PM Edit Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
Over the years I have seen a few Tiger barb and mixed barb display tanks, yes they do look rather colourful and certainly always on the move.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 26-Jul-2007 08:34Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
General Hague
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 81
Votes: 3
male usa
If you want a bottom eater, you could get a pleco, shrimp, snails, or loaches. A lot of loach species like to burrow themselves though. A clown loach might work though, they don't really bury themselves, however you would have to get a bigger tank eventually for the clown loach or return it to the LFS.
Post InfoPosted 29-Jul-2007 04:47Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
viciouschiapet
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 77
Votes: 15
female usa
Scott, you make them sound so fun! A mix between a kitten and a jack russell? wow! I doubt my tank could handle them, but they sure sound fun! Strangely enough they are one of the common tropical fish i've never kept!

The pottery that growls!
Post InfoPosted 29-Jul-2007 06:31Profile Homepage AIM Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
ScottF
---------------
Fish Addict
Addiction Hurts!!
male usa
I can't enough good things about these lil fellers! I added two small Green Tiger Barbs and 4 Ghost Shrimp yesterday. I fed them prior to releasing the newbies into the tank. I went ahead and released the greenies first to give them all something to do while the shrimp arrived on the scene.

Needless to say, the TB's were all quite curious with the shrimp, nipping and chasing until the shrimp installed themselves among the "plants" and rock in my tank. It will be curious to see how long they can co-habitate. It would be great if the TB's would leave the shrimp alone so they can live together and thrive.
Post InfoPosted 29-Jul-2007 15:21Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
ScottF
---------------
Fish Addict
Addiction Hurts!!
male usa
An update... the Ghost shrimp experiment has failed, no survivors... But I know several well fed Tiger Barbs. I suppose I will be going without an algae eater/excess food/detrius eater in my 20g unless I change my substrate or plant the tank.
Post InfoPosted 30-Jul-2007 00:46Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
vally136
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 2
Votes: 0
hi new, read your post about your tigar barbs i love themi have a 20 gal with 7 tigar barbs 6 silver dollars a placo a kissing gourami a 3-spot blue gourami a platy and a mollie plus 3 clown loaches and a juvie firemouth they all get along fine (the clown loaches:& and the juvie firemouth i intend to move soon to another tank with my Jack Dempsey and 2 oscars--I take care of my tanks and have no deaths and every one of them gets along with each other. the only time i had trouble is when i bought 2 3-spot blue gouramis and both were male alot of fighting going on had move 1 to another tank..oh yes get a placo they don't mess with your other fish, if you get clown loaches get more than one they love to enter act with each other.. ok bye
Post InfoPosted 08-Aug-2007 00:02Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
ScottF
---------------
Fish Addict
Addiction Hurts!!
male usa
wow vally, that is TON of fish in the 20g... It sounds to me like you're probably well overstocked. I am curious to learn how long you have had this tank, what the water parameters are, filtration, etc...
Post InfoPosted 08-Aug-2007 17:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
BruceMoomaw
-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 490
Votes: 0
male usa
Yeah, I think that's WAY too many, Vally -- you need to cut that in half. You may have kept them alive so far because you do frequent-enough water changes (and also because your Gouramis, being partial air-breathers, aren't as sensitive to dirty water) -- but if you fall behind schedule even once in changing their water, you might have a disaster. I might suggest getting rid of half the Silver Dollars to begin with -- they seem to be a bit more delicate, and also more shy, than the others you list.
Post InfoPosted 11-Aug-2007 07:50Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies