AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Freshwater Species
 L# Cyprinid Corner
  L# Tiger barb behaviour - normal or cause for concern?
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeTiger barb behaviour - normal or cause for concern?
foj1428
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 28
Votes: 44
female uk
I've noticed two quite strange things my tiger barbs do and was wondering if anyone knows if they are normal or if I should be concerned:

1. When the lights go off at night, I've noticed they sleep with their heads down and tails up to the extent they are practically vertical

2. When they swim round and chase each other, they tend to lean slightly to one side as they swim

Other than these behaviours, they seem fine. Colours are nice and bright, fins are held high and aren't damaged in any way.

They are fed on flakes twice a day with bloodworm treats every couple of days.

There are six in all, in a 15gal tank. Three are larger than the others and I notice these three exhibit the angled swimming more than the smaller three.

Could it be possible swim bladder problems or is this just normal behaviour?

Water parameters - ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 5-10, pH 6.6, temp 25C
Post InfoPosted 27-Mar-2006 23:10Profile MSN PM Edit Report 
Brian1216
-----
Hobbyist
Votes: 0
male usa
EditedEdited by Brian1216
The head down pose is relatively normal for Tiger Barbs and no one is really sure why they do it. Mine seem to do it when the lights go off as well. They will often exhibit this behavior after eating. It's nothing to worry about.
Post InfoPosted 28-Mar-2006 04:52Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies