Post Reply  New Topic
Subscribe30 Gallon Brackish?
Fish Guy
-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 1254
Votes: 2
male canada
I was wondering what would be a good stock for a 30 gallon brackish water setup? I want a good few live plants if possible. Also I was hoping to keep 2 figure eight puffers and some bumble bee gobies. Can anything else fit in? Also can the pest snail survive in brackish water?
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile PM Edit Report 
Fish Guy
-----
Mega Fish
male canada
No?
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
I'm not too knowledgeable about the puffers, but my guess would be that it should work out, as 30 gallons is a good amount of room to play with. However, I would not recommend more than puffers and gobies as puffers are generally not the friendliest of fish.

Snails and other invertebrates are generally not very tolerant of osmotic changes (salt). I doubt it would do very well. Also, puffers consider snails fresh meat, their strong beak-like teeth fit specifically for crushing shells.

In considering plant species, try to go for hardier species. Salt is not exactly friendly to most freshwater plants either as they generally don't have to guard against osmotic changes. If you can get your hands on mangrove they'd be quite appropriate for a brackish set-up as they are from such waters, but I've heard Java Moss or Java Fern also are able to tolerate salt.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
jfk
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 42
Votes: 1
male usa
I have the same size tank. In mine I have one figure eight puffer, six bumble bee gobies, eight platies, and a couple of ghost shrimp that are good hiders. I added the platies because their fry make good treats for the bb gobies.

You could go with two puffers and the gobies. That would bee fine.

As for the snails, if you keep them with the puffer they will not survive. They will be eaten before the salt would kill them. For this reason I got a little one gal. tank just to breed them in.

The only plants that have done well for me is java moss and java fern. The higher salt levels tend to kill freshwater plants quite quickly.

Hope this helps.
Fish Guy
-----
Mega Fish
male canada
Well the reason i wanted the snails in there is for the puffers to eat and help keep their beaks low. So hows does
2 figure eights
6 bb gobies
3 mollies
djtj
-----
Fish Master
Kudos: 885
Votes: 49
male usa
I'd be worried about the puffers nipping the mollies.
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
jfk
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 42
Votes: 1
male usa
The puffers do need the snails, but the puffers would eat them very fast. That's why I got a small tank to breed them in so I don't have to keep buying them.

I wouldn't worry too much about the mollies. I've only had one platy attacked and that was when it tried to mate with my puffer
fishguyoo7
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 128
Votes: 14
male usa
i would go with a Fan Dance Goby (Stigmatogobius sadanundio) There a cool little fish. Very peacful. but i dont know if i would put them in with the puffers.

www.responsiblethrashers.com
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Natalie
---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Apolay Wayyioy
Kudos: 3730
Votes: 348
female usa us-california
Regarding the plants, I've gotten some marine macro algaes to survive in a specific gravity of 1.010. So far I have no been able to adapt freshwater plants to water with any measureable amount of salt in it.

You might ask your LFS for a small piece of some very hardy algae and slowly adapt it to your tank slowly, and see how it does.

I'm not your neighbor, you Bakersfield trash.
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
br0ke_1T
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 51
Votes: 0
male uk

'I've only had one platy attacked and that was when it tried to mate with my puffer'
LMAO!!
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies