L# 55g brackish
Subscribe55g brackish
bayara
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 117
Votes: 14
female canada
as soon as i (very quickly) upgrade to a much larger tank for my juvinelle silver arowana, i'm thinking of turning my 55gal into a brackish water tank. does anyone have any stocking suggestions? also if anyone has any tips on beginning and maintaining a brackish water tank it would be appreciated!
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile PM Edit Report 
royal cichlid
-----
Banned
Kudos: 84
Votes: 4
male usa
TOADFISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Gilligan
---------------
Mega Fish
I love you Alena
Kudos: 555
Votes: 50
male usa
Hmmm.. What about 3 archers? Or maybe a Some smaller scats.

"Party it up, Drink it down"
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile Homepage AIM MSN Yahoo PM Edit Report 
puffer_archer
----------
Enthusiast
Kudos: 250
Votes: 4
male usa
Here is a link to a site with a lot of excellent information on brackish tanks:
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/BrackishSubWebIndex/BrackishSubWebIndex.htm

The biggest thing is to make sure that you use marine salt, not aquarium salt. Also, you'll want to get a hydrometer to keep track of the specific gravity. Filtration works the same as freshwater tanks for the most part.

Oh yeah, and depending on what SG you decide to keep the tank at, you may need to re-cycle it. Raising the salt levels will kill the FW bacteria and eventually SW bacteria will replace them.

Last edited by puffer_archer at 05-Oct-2004 21:14
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile Homepage Yahoo PM Edit Report 
bayara
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 117
Votes: 14
female canada
thanks! i have 2 columbian sharks right now - impulse buy from walmart (staff said they were freshwater and only grew to be about 5" long..... also non-returnable). I have them in a freshwater aquarium right now - another reason to need a brackish water tank sooner or ... sooner . i like the idea of the archer fish - do you think they would be compatable? and do they have any special requirements? i'll have to do some more research here.....
AggieMarine
---------------
-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 229
Votes: 12
male usa
Archers would be good. So would freshwater morays. I love my freshwater moray. As for the columbian sharks, I'd say try to trade them off. They are a brackish fish, but they grow to be much larger than 5 inches. Look into freshwater flatfishes as well and some of the brackish water gobies (although they may become food for archers, columbian sharks, flatfishes, and morays if you opted to get any of those). There are a lot of options out there.
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile AIM PM Edit Report 
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies