L# Caring for a Violet Goby?
SubscribeCaring for a Violet Goby?
Fish Guy
-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 1254
Votes: 2
male canada
I was planning on getting one of these for my breackish water tank and I was wondering whats on the care list for these fish? Like what should I feed it? Will it eat molly fry?
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile PM Edit Report 
fish1
---------------
Banned
Kudos: 1910
Votes: 58
male usa
They say it wont eat fish but someone had experience so i would presume it would chow on molly fry. you can feed it pellets frozen bloodworms etc.
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile PM Edit Report 
puffer_archer
----------
Enthusiast
Kudos: 250
Votes: 4
male usa
Here are some links I found with info on them. It's not a lot, but should be helpful.

http://wetwebmedia.com/FWSubWebIndex/gobioids.htm

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/FWSubWebIndex/gobioidfaqs.htm

(I hit the wrong button and posted too soon the first time, thus the edit )

[span class="edited"][Edited by 2004-08-08 17:16][/span]
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile Homepage Yahoo PM Edit Report 
pufferpunk
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 395
Votes: 0
female usa
They are not predatory fish, actually nocturnal filter feeders--practically blind. They suck up water along the substrate hoping to find morsels in there. They also use their mouth & "chin fin" to shovel the gravel around, looking for food & making a nice cave for themselves. Mine loves bloodworms, plankton & algae wafers.
Toirtis
-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 529
Votes: 6
male canada
Go with a dim, cooler (around 70-72F) tank with a sand or fine gravel substrate. Most specimens will readily take frozen foods, and some can be trained onto prepared foods. they are slow-growing, but will eventually reach 30"-36" in length.
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile Homepage MSN Yahoo PM Edit Report 
pufferpunk
-----
Big Fish
female usa
There seem to be 2 kinds of these fish I don't know the scientific names of the one mentioned above, but the one I have is http://www.whozoo.org/Anlife2001/johangus/jg_dragonfish.htm. One is treated as the post above, but I don't think that is the fish regularly available in the aquarium trade. This fish is gfine in tropical water. It grows to around 18". It is a filter feeder & does not eat fish. Moine likes blackworms, plankton & algae wafers. The food must reach the bottom of the tank, where it can scavange the gravel for it. It is almost blind. It eats food by opening it's huge mouth which sucks the food in like a vacuum. It will shovel the gravel around with it's mouth & "chin fin", making caves in the substrate, straining out small particles of food.
Toirtis
-----
Mega Fish
male canada
but I don't think that is the fish regularly available in the aquarium trade.

That is G. brousonetti, and it is the only one available in the trade.....they can survive in FW, and warmer water, but do not thrive in it as they would in a habitat emulating their native conditions.
pufferpunk
-----
Big Fish
female usa
Hmmm, well with you're credentials, I wouldn't even think to doubt your knowledge. I was sure there were 2 kinds though. Ask me anything about FW/BW puffers... thatI know.
Toirtis
-----
Mega Fish
male canada
I am nowhere near the goby expert that I am the Polypterid expert, but I have done a fair bit of research on 8-10 commonly available species, especially as I am rather fond of most gobies....and as far as I have been able to determine, the G. brousonetti that are available in shops north-america wide, are indeed the cooler, BW ones...there seems to be no other species that comes even close in morphology.
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies