AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Marine Aquaria
 L# General Brackish
  L# Convert Brackish water to Freshwater...How?
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeConvert Brackish water to Freshwater...How?
marsha_mush
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 20
Votes: 0
canada
I have a 20 gallon freshwater aquarium. A little striped fish in a petstore was begging me to take him home, however being a profesional amateur fishkeeper I waited and did some research. The only problem I've found is a big one. The little fish is a Bumblebee Goby who lives in a brackish water setup. I know this fish can be kept in a freshwater tank, but I don't know how to change him over or how difficult it would be. I have a 5 gallon freshwater quarantine tank ready for use. I've never kept a brackish water or saltwater. Help would be greatly appreciated, How should I convert the little guy?
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile PM Edit Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
The first thing to determine is whether or not the specific fish that your purchasing is living in brackish or not. Most LFSes just skip maintaining brackish set-ups and put bumblebee gobies and the like in freshwater tanks. If this is the case at your LFS, you won't have to convert it because it's already in FW.

Things become slightly trickier if the fish you are buying is currently kept in a brackish set-up. You'll actually have to acclimate it then; I'm not entirely sure about this fish in particular, but if the fish comes to your tank healthy you could probably acclimate it normally except, instead, taking about like an hour or two.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
marsha_mush
-----
Fingerling
canada
Thanks Shinigami,
the fish is in a brackish environment with a gravity of 1. (whatever that means). it's great to know they are often kept in freshwater at the petstore as that would be so much simpler. they are that durable huh? to just plop em' in like that? gee fish are facinating. i'm not sure i'll try it but you have given me hope. thanks again.
djtj
-----
Fish Master
Kudos: 885
Votes: 49
male usa
I'd just set up a brackish tank. You really shouldn't switch over with BB gobies, unless your going fresh to brackish. Salt isn't expensive and all you really need is a hydrometer.
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
Specific gravity of 1.000? That's freshwater.:%)

To note, saltwater has an SG of 1.025. Brackish can lie anywhere between there, but usually people don't go all the way up to 1.025 when they go brackish.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Theresa_M

---------------
---------------
-----
Queen of Zoom
Kudos: 4280
Votes: 790
female usa us-maryland
My brackish tank has a SG of 1.010 for my glassfish, fiddler crabs, and bumblbee goby.

They can be kept in FW but do better/live longer in brackish. Be forewarned about feeding: for the most part they are very reluctant to accept flake. I've had mine well over a year and it will only eat live, frozen, or freeze dried.

Bumblebees have no swim bladder...yup, fish are definitely interesting

Theresa_M attached this image:

Last edited by Theresa_M at 26-May-2005 16:37
[/font]

~~~~~~~~~~~~
There is water at the bottom of the ocean
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
marsha_mush
-----
Fingerling
canada
A little update on what has happened.
I bought the little goby and have had him for almost a month. He is very healthy and doing very well. I did indeed put him (over the course of about three hours) directly into a freshwater aquarium. he appeared to have no trouble adjusting and have had no problems since. I did have a lot of trouble getting him to eat. he loves small bits of earthworms, and has just recently started taking freeze-dried bloodworms. He is fantastic to watch and not at all shy. he is however still in my quarantine tank along with a snail to eat his large amounts of leftovers. I am worried he won't get enough to eat in the community tank, so I'm waiting with the hope he'll at least eat enough of other foods to prevent starving if I have to go away for a week. He does however attack the bloodworms with amazing gusto, and eats more than plenty. I love my little fish.
marsha_mush
-----
Fingerling
canada
Theresa_M I must say, what an amazing picure of your goby. very handsome fellow.
esandbergger
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 128
female usa
I have a tank that is probably borderline brackish. I put in about a teaspoon of salt per gallon and what i noticed is that it calms the fish down, even the freshwater fishies and my mollies have more energy.
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies