Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeNeovespicula depressifrons
dvmchrissy
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 301
Votes: 38
female usa us-indiana
I just ahd to start a post on them! Cory Addict you got me so interested in this fish and I didn't want to take over someone else's post, so please tell me whatever you can abotu these lil guys I would love to think abotu getting some of them. Are they hard to care for? Could they be put in a 10 gallon tank? If not coudl I put them in a marine tank with a clown fish or something like that? What do they eat? How hard are they to handle (I saw that it said that they have venomous spines) I have not been able to find anything on them. They definitely make me very inquisitive though!
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile Yahoo PM Edit Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
Ooooooh, cool species. I don't have personal experience, but my guess is that this fish is not an extremely hard to care for fish. It's just one of those fish you see from time to time but can't actually buy.

A 10 gallon would probably be the lower limit if the fish is by itself. They get about maybe 3" give or take, so they're not really big fish. However, you can keep this fish in freshwater or marine, but slow acclimation is necessary to do this. This isn't just hours we're talking, it could be days of acclimation to make a good transition.

This fish should eat meaty type foods, like invertebrate matter. Shrimp-based foods are good. My bet it could be weaned onto dry foods.

They indeed do have venemous spines. You just have to be careful as with any other venemous species such as stingray, lionfish, scorpionfish, etc. Just be a little more careful with this fish.

If Cory Addict has more info, to add or correct me, post since I'd like to know too since I am interested in this fish. :%)

Last edited by metagon at 21-Oct-2005 23:34

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
dvmchrissy
-----
Big Fish
female usa us-indiana
I have looked for these guys around here and cannot find them anywhere. I guess I will have to keep searching. I am going to end up with a larger tank for my saltwater setup especially since that tends to leave less room for error in the end. I can't wait. I went to a lfs the other day to check it out and they had the cutest little clownfish and he looke dlike he was having so much fun rubbing all over his anemone. I wanted him and that anemone so bad. That anemone was huge though so I will have to get a much larger tank for him... Oh darn! Anyway when I get my million dollars from the lottery next week I will go start my tank up lol

Christina
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
bettachris

---------------
-----
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 4173
Votes: 452
male usa
never even heard of this fish, but googled it and i came across the line " it is not important in the wholesale bussiness" so u may have some difficulties finding this fish, but best of luck.
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile Homepage Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
dvmchrissy
-----
Big Fish
female usa us-indiana
Thanks chris, I wondered what that phrase meant on some of those sites. I guess I will have to look REALLY hard if I decide to get one.

Christina
mrwizerd
---------------
Big Fish
Kudos: 197
Votes: 75
male usa
null[link=http://www.aqualandpetsplus.com/Oddball,%20Butterfly%20Goby%20or%20Wasp%20Fishl.htm ]http://www.aqualandpetsplus.com/Oddball,%20Butterfly%20Goby%20or%20Wasp%20Fishl.htm [/link]

This is all I can find, I think they are the same species I am going to hunt them down for my brackish when its fully established.
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile Homepage ICQ AIM MSN Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
mrwizerd
---------------
Big Fish
male usa
Ok, I have had these in my tank for a while, and they are really cool. There isnt much to say about care for them, however, my lfs said the biggest he has ever seen them is 1.5" If this is true then theoretically you could keep two of them in a 10. However because of there sting I do not think many other bottom feeders should be kept specifically cory. The cory might deside he was a wasp fish and want to school with them, and then get stung.

Heck there so cute one swam up to me and when my fish do that normally I let them nip my fingers and I had to stop myself because I forgot about the sting. They seem to be very happy in my 29 freshwater, and i have them in a breeding net with three goby and there doing ok. they will all be my bottom feeders, so them being so close I hope will aclimate them to eachother.

If you want these fish I have a regular supply of them, I am going to be buying them and growing them so there a little bit bigger than half an inch and send them out. I will keep everyone posted.
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile Homepage ICQ AIM MSN Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
dvmchrissy
-----
Big Fish
female usa us-indiana
MrWizerd- You never told me that you were sure that you could get more! That means you have to get me two of them instead of just one because I am getting 30 gallon for them for sure sunday from a friend. It will be a few months before I get to set it up but I want them FOR SURE now!!!

I will be getting these and who knows what else in the tank. I am probably going to have sand in there but I am toying with maybe sand and some gravel as well I don't know... We will have to see...

I am glad someone finally knows somethign about these guys though!

Christina
mrwizerd
---------------
Big Fish
male usa
Chrissy,

I already knew you were going to get four, and as soon as I get the 35 cycled then I will order up four more because I have another fellow on here that wants some. I want to have them here at the house for a little while before sending them off because I want them to be as healthy as possible before going out. Also this means that those who will be reciving them need to meet the conditions in my tank with theirs for best aclimation. I also want to go over the stock list for my tank since i am moving it to the 35 I think that I may get a couple killi fish and maybe an archer or a scat or two. I need to update my log.
iiii.ksignature
Small Fry
Kudos: 0
Votes: 0
male usa us-newyork
So are there people here who own this fish currently? As well what would be proper tank mates?
Post InfoPosted 07-Jan-2011 19:32Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
MikeP_123
Small Fry
Kudos: 0
Votes: 0
Could you keep these guys with bumble bee gobies?
Post InfoPosted 13-May-2011 06:19Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies