SubscribeNewbie to Brackish
Joe Potato

---------------
-----
Fish Addict
Kind of a Big Deal
Votes: 309
male usa us-northcarolina
As some of you know, my current 38 gallon tank went through a bit of a rough spell which has wiped out all but the two plecos. ]:|. Needless to say, I was less than thrilled that this happened, but it has left me with a unique opportunity: to start the tank over, only to do it right this time because I actually have some semblence of knowledge regarding the keeping of fish.

I had initially considered converting the tank into an Asian Hillstream Biotope with hillstream loachs, white clouds, harlequins, and such, but I have since moved on (after all, the teenage mind is fickle) to wanted to make a brackish water tank.

Besides, I have finally accepted the fact that changing water of pH 7.8 and hardness/buffering through the roof to water that is best for Amazonian fish is difficult at best...

But, here's a flashback to give you way more information than you ever wanted.

[flashback]

I suppose my interest in brackish water goes all the way back to 5th grade, when our class field trip was a three day stay at Echo Hill, a facility located on the Chesapeake Bay. Needless to say, since we were in 5th grade, the lessons were a little south of "scientific", but it proved enough to pique my interest.

My high school allows all students in higher level biology classes (botany, advanced biology, and advanced placement biology) to go on a trip to Wallops Island Marine Conservatory, located right near the VA/MA border. So, with the lessons being slightly more educational this time, my interest has steadily grown. In fact, I am considering a marine/brackish biology major in college.

[/flashback]

So, this brings us to the present. I am planning on taking the plecos to my LFS and trading them in (should make a nice profit too, as they are rather large), and beginning to set up a brackish tank (with parental approval, of course, which is still pending).

My idea for the setup is as follows:

General:
Tank: 38 gallon. 36" long X 18" tall X 12" deep

Filters: 2 Penguin 330s

Aquascaping:
Substrate: Play sand from a local hardware store, thoroughly washed.

Rocks: Several formations and caves.

Plants: Anubias, Vallisneria, Hairgrass, and Java Fern. If not possible, plan to use fake.

Livestock:
Celebes Rainbowfish: 6
Bumblebee Gobies: 5
Knight Gobies: 2

So, that is my idea for a brackish water tank. Love it, hate it, ignore it, ridicule it, or lobs peas at it: I would like responses of all kinds.

So, any help/suggestions/flames that people feel like replying with would be great. All the knowledge I have of brackish water fishkeeping is theoretical and academic, so if anyone has any great misconceptions about brackish water that newbies don't know about (like the infamous 1 fish inch per gallon rule for FW) that they would like to share, I would be most appreciative.

And I would never forget to send you a Christmas Card.

Here endeth the longest post I've ever written.

Joe Potato
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Report 
me is already in use
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 99
Votes: 25
male usa us-california
Where are the puffers?
jk
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile PM Edit Report 
amilner
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 654
Votes: 0
male uk
Puffers? With that fish stock? Thats just not going to work.
TheGoldenDojo
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 559
Votes: 8
male usa
For vrackish go by the 1 inch of fish per 3 gallons rule (actually, this is good for fresh, too).
pufferpunk
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 395
Votes: 0
female usa
Forget the anubias, it won't make int in BW.
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile Homepage Yahoo PM Edit Report 
fish1
---------------
Banned
Kudos: 1910
Votes: 58
male usa
*lobs peas at it* lol jk sounds like a great set up try to get some pics if you do it!
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies