SubscribeStarting the Gentle Conversion to Brackish
tlkng1
Small Fry
Kudos: 1
Votes: 0
female usa us-maryland
EditedEdited 02-Sep-2009 22:43
Hi All

I am setting up a molly species tank intending to go brackish. Currently, the tank is 40 gallons, set-up with 50 pounds of Aragonite sand (dry, not live sand), some lava rock and a few silk plants, and water obviously

I pre-seeded the tank with some sponges I had "percolating" in another freshwater tank the past three weeks. Tonight, I added two, small, black mollies to help with the final cycling.

I added some salt (Instant Ocean), not a lot, (premixed with distilled water before adding to the tank) at about 2 full teaspoons for the 40 gallons. I know this won't be nearly enough salt but since I am not done stocking, I don't want to go all the way to brackish just yet. Once I get done stocking, I'll do a full on, over a period of time, conversion.

My question, however, is stocking amounts. Freshwater goes with 1 inch of adult fish per gallon, saltwater is one inch per 3 gallons. Does anyone know the stocking rate for brackish? I'd like to add at least 6 more normal sized mollies of different colors (a pair of each color or lyretail), and possibly one or two pairs of sailfins.

Then again, I saw a bumble bee goby today.......hmmmmmm

The other question is which test kit to use on brackish...fresh or salt?

Many tanks; fresh, brackish and salt
Post InfoPosted 02-Sep-2009 22:36Profile PM Edit Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
Quite a few test kits do both fresh and salt, so that should solve that

I'd stock at FW rates given that esentially the setup sounds like a FW system with some salt in it rather than your standard SW reef-type arrangement HOWEVER mollies are a bit large to fit that rule of thumb, so err on the side of understocking.

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 04-Sep-2009 07:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
Hi,
Here is a site that may help you as you convert
your freshwater tank into a brackish water tank.
http://badmanstropicalfish.com/brackish/brackish.html

And for plants, here is another site:
http://www.azgardens.com/c-63-brackish-aquarium-plant-habitat-packages.aspx

Hope these help...
Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 14-Mar-2010 18:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
When people give stocking rates for freshwater and saltwater, the reason isn't because of the water, but because of the biology of the fishes that live in those waters. Saltwater fish in general need more room. Mollies should be fine at the same stocking that you would do them in freshwater.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 14-Mar-2010 21:25Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies