L# Pages: 1, 2
Subscribeinput on ideas
Cup_of_Lifenoodles
---------------
Fish Guru
Kudos: 1957
Votes: 30
male usa
I too, have heard of Melans. being able to adapt and survive BW. However, there is a difference between thriving and survivng. Furthermore, rainbows are far more oftenly encountered in fresh water conditions, as their natural diet subsists mostly on the larvae of FW insects.

On another note, I did forget about the tile eel. They are indeed good inhabitants for a BW aquarium, and should not bother fish the size of a full grown rainbow.
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile AIM MSN PM Edit Report 
pufferpunk
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 395
Votes: 0
female usa
But I wouldn't put the eels & rainbows together! Yum!
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile Homepage Yahoo PM Edit Report 
AggieMarine
---------------
-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 229
Votes: 12
male usa
That's not entirely true. Some rainbow fish do fine in brackish waters, and a 55 gallon tank is plenty big enough for Gymnothorax tile, the most commonly found species of freshwater moray, and will certainly accommodate the rarer G. polyuranodon. You could fit several of the very rare Echidna rhodochilus in a 55.
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile AIM PM Edit Report 
Cup_of_Lifenoodles
---------------
Fish Guru
Kudos: 1957
Votes: 30
male usa
All the brackish water fish listed are too small for a 55, minus the mudskippers and puffers. For a beach tank, you'll need at LEAST a fifty gallon, and I wouldn't stock anything in that tank other than the muddies, as they can be quite aggressive to other gobies, and plus, there's just not enough room, anyways. Mudskippers are fairly demanding fish, btw, just so you know. Furthermore, none of the listed FW fish can live happily in BW, if at all.
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile AIM MSN PM Edit Report 
TheGoldenDojo
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 559
Votes: 8
male usa
archerfish need a 75g tank, and shark catfish need a 135g tank for good measure, as they grow 18 to 20 inches long, on average. mudskippers are best of on their own or with crabs and get too large for a 20g tank.

Last edited by thegoldendojo at 12-Oct-2004 21:49
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile PM Edit Report 
pufferpunk
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 395
Votes: 0
female usa
You should decide if you want a FW or BW tank & stick to those fish.
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile Homepage Yahoo PM Edit Report 
resle
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 112
Votes: 14
male usa
i thinks its an australian rainbow and pretty much any knife fish that stays as small or smaller than the black ghost knife

also i didnt plan on putting all of the fish i mentioned those were just the ones i was interested in sorry for the mix up

heres a web site i used that says differently

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/brackish/brackish.html
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile PM Edit Report 
AggieMarine
---------------
-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 229
Votes: 12
male usa
That might be a bit much. Those muskippers would be better off on their own. They'd certainly end up as moray snacks, as would crabs. Rope fish get a bit bit, and so do archers. That shark cat in my opinion should belong in a 75 gallon minimum. Remember that brackish tanks should have less fish than a freshwater tank of the same size because salinated water doesn't hold as much oxygen.

What kind of rainbowfish are you wondering about? Some will live in brackish water quite well, while some will not. Same with the knife fish, what kind do you have?
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile AIM PM Edit Report 
# Pages: 1, 2
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies