L# 15 Gallon Stocking...
 Post Reply  New Topic
Subscribe15 Gallon Stocking...
Brian1216
-----
Hobbyist
Votes: 0
male usa
Looking for ideas on stocking a freshwater 15 gallon with a 7.6 ph. I'd like something colorful like Tetras but want ones that will go well in a 7.6 ph and stay small. Thanks!
Post InfoPosted 14-Feb-2007 04:51Profile PM Edit Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
Have a look at the smaller barbs, golds or cherries. Mix in a few WCMM, and or rasboras, danios shouldnt be ruled out either.
I wanted lambchop rasboras for a long time, once I cleared out a tank for them I couldnt find them in my LFS . Littlefish posted a good pic in the gallery. Harlequins might be another good choice for that tank. I prefer sticking to smaller fish with tanks under 50gal as they still need swimming room even if the stock could fit. Might have room for a few small corys or loaches depending on your maintence.

Nicly planted with java fern and some crypts and a few small schools and that'd be a good tank

^_^

Post InfoPosted 14-Feb-2007 05:21Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Brian1216
-----
Hobbyist
male usa
Thanks for the suggestions Babelfish but don't you think Gold Barbs would be too big for a 15 gallon? I have them in my 29 gallon and they are nice and fat. They are supposed to get up to 3.5" so a school of them would really limit my other options.
Post InfoPosted 14-Feb-2007 05:45Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2782
Votes: 98
female usa
Any smaller tetras would work. I like black neons. The ph doesn't really matter so long as it's stable. Most any fish will live fine in a ph from 6-8 so long as it doesn't change quickly. Very few stores use anything but tapwater so unless the store is quite far away the fish should already be living in the same water as your using. The list of schooling fish that might work is pretty much endless especially if you consider more than just tetra species. I'd go to the store and make a list of what you like to narrow it down then look up or ask about their size.

If you want bottom feeders I would avoid botia loaches(yoyo, burmese, skunk, zebra..etc) except the tiny dwarf/chain loach but those are expensive and nearly impossible to find. Botias are far too active for a 15g. I'd suggest them for a 29g or larger. Kuhlis would work if you decide you want loaches.
Post InfoPosted 14-Feb-2007 06:26Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Brian1216
-----
Hobbyist
male usa
Thanks sham. Actually my LFS gets Dwarf Chain Loaches (Botia Sidthimunki) in on a regular basis. They go for $14 each which is why i've avoided them. Very tempting though...
Post InfoPosted 14-Feb-2007 07:05Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
Hmm Odd,
I've had gold barbs in my 10, 20 and 30. And they never got much over 2" or so . I wonder if the store I'd gotten them from had got a stock that was bred small, or if they just named them wrong, there does seem to be some confusion about the smaller gold barbs ID'd on this site even . Even with them getting larger mine were never on the overactive side. For me the fishes activity level plays a large part in it's tank size, not just it's adult size.

Adam and I just got some kribs for my 2' tank at the auction this past weekend, not exactly sure on the dimensions of a 15, but some of the smaller cichlids might be a possibility.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 19-Feb-2007 01:36Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies