Post Reply  New Topic
Subscribe1 gallon junior tank
1st_signer

Hobbyist
Kudos: 49
Votes: 1
male usa us-california
EditedEdited 25-Oct-2009 05:28
i resently recievd a 1 gallon junior fish tank for my rooms desk ive added the lubricant and the tanks filters bin cyling for about 2 months so i want to know what are a good school of fish or good group of fish i can keep in such a small space?
thanks

>>>>>>a learning experience as an aquarist can be fun but you must be ready to take and obey advice and criticism but most of all be patient<<<<<<<
Post InfoPosted 25-Oct-2009 05:26Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
Sadly not much can actually live in a 1 gallon tank. You are pretty much stuck with inverts or micro sized fish if you want 2-4 fish. I don't really have many suggestions other than maybe try some small ghost or cherry shrimp as a cool invert experience or triops which are an ancient species of shrimp that are pretty neat looking.

cOther than that you'd have to seriously research some micro rasboras or very small tetras (ember tetras?). Most of these will not be readily available in any LFS (Local Fish Store) which means you will most likely have to order them online.

So there are a few guidelines, other than that I suggest you do some more resarch and homework just to make sure your tank is ready for the new occupants because some aquatics pets however big do not come cheap...

Good Luck!
-Brandon

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 25-Oct-2009 09:53Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
hca
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 434
Votes: 211
female usa us-illinois
In a 1 gal, not much. Most lil fish still like to be in a school ( 6 or more of the same species)and a 1 gallon doesnt give them enough room for a school

Id suggest getting some real plants, and either a single betta
Or
a group of shrimp 3-6 depending on type
or
possibly a pair of killifish - but they wont come cheap. and you'll probably have to order online.

Post InfoPosted 25-Oct-2009 14:38Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
ScottF
---------------
Fish Addict
Addiction Hurts!!
Kudos: 330
Votes: 355
male usa
I would suggest some live plants and a single male betta. A 1 gallon tank simply doesn't give you many options at all...
Post InfoPosted 25-Oct-2009 16:59Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
1st_signer

Hobbyist
male usa us-california
ok thanks my 1st plan was 1 black skirt tetra 2 guppies (male) and 1 betta and 4 gohst shrimp (the bettas reall nice to hthe guppies)

>>>>>>a learning experience as an aquarist can be fun but you must be ready to take and obey advice and criticism but most of all be patient<<<<<<<
Post InfoPosted 25-Oct-2009 18:43Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Delenn
Hobbyist
Kudos: 63
Votes: 10
female usa
Yeah, as others have said, you can do one betta, or two - three fancy guppies, or two dwarf african frogs, or shrimp. There's just not much else beyond that.
Post InfoPosted 25-Oct-2009 23:00Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
male usa us-california
I wouldnt put more than two guppies in the tank, three is pushing it on their own... you need to make a decision between the different selections because only one component will work. you could easily get some really cool ghost or cherry shrimp, but most of all go with live plants if you can! they will help keep the water conditions more stable than just the little filter you have.

you might also need to find a small heater that will keep the tank at a standard temperature depending on the type livestock you end up getting.

ok thanks my 1st plan was 1 black skirt tetra 2 guppies (male) and 1 betta and 4 gohst shrimp (the bettas reall nice to hthe guppies)

this stocking would be appropriate for a five to ten gallon, not a one gallon. so pick either one betta, one tetra (i dont recommend this at all) 2-3 guppies, or the shrimp... try not to push the tank too far in its limits or you'll just loose the fish... go for an extremely light stock then if you decide too maybe add a few shrimp in a month or so.

Hope this helps.
-Brandon

Post InfoPosted 26-Oct-2009 00:02Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
A 1 gallon makes a good tank for shrimp and plants, but not for most species of fish past a betta.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 26-Oct-2009 15:51Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
I personally would not put any fish in there at all. It is way to small, except a pair of Khuli Loaches
What type of filtration and heating are you running?

CRS would be ideal with a pair of Khuli loaches.

If you decide to go the CRS I would only use a UGF.
Reason the CRS will get sucked up into the intake of the filter.

They are easy to maintain. Only use plants like Anubias nana which can be moved and make it easy to do a regular gravel vac.

It is going to be a big challenge the smaller the tank the harder it is to get established and maintain. Just remember there will be no room at all for any mistakes.
You might have to do a small water change every 3-4 days.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 27-Oct-2009 02:54Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
It is a tricky size tank.

Are there live plants?
What filter are you running?

However you look at it, a black skirt is not going to be happy as a single specimen in that size tank. They really like friends of the same species, and swimming space.

If you want a single fish, a betta would be fine. Male or female it doesn't matter.

If you want multiple fish, you are looking at male endlers livebearers (like guppies but smaller) microrasboras (quite expensive, but very small)& killifish (pretty but can be aggressive in small numbers)

I'd be seriously considering shrimp (CRS, RCS, ghost, bumblebee, etc), and maybe endlers.

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 30-Oct-2009 09:29Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
male usa us-california
OK well over the last few weeks I have set up and cycled a 1 gallon aquarium. I initially put in about 5 or 6 cheap minnows that I got from P*tc0 (sorry I know that we are not supposed to reference the store's actual name) and the water got very cloudy (most likely from bacteria blooms) for a week or two. I did loose two or three of these minnows and the remaining three as happy and well now that the water has cleared. Yesterday I added another fish, a singe male betta and I added another Java fern plant (labeled as "Aquafern" in the store). This tank doesn't look STUNNING like some of these master piece tanks that you see here on FP but it does look rather nice here on my dormroom desk and is just enough to keep my fishy mind occupied.

If you still have not gotten any livestock for your tank I suggest some easy plants, simple decorations, thin gravel layer (no more than 1.5 inches) and keep the water changes to a healthy regimine. As far as fish get a few small rasboras or smaller tetras and a betta. This seems to be working for me and you can modify these to fit your aesthetic appeal. just keep the stocking low and etc.

So, tell us how goes the tank?

-Brandon

Post InfoPosted 12-Nov-2009 06:19Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Ira
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 181
male newzealand
ive added the lubricant

Lubricant? What lubricant?
Post InfoPosted 19-Nov-2009 10:52Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
devon7
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 356
Votes: 4
female usa
they have these cool feeder guppies at my LFS, they are tiny like endlers but much easier to find. they sell for 15 for a dollar here, and i have discovered that my betta has no issues with them. you could put 1 lazy betta, 3 of those guys (males of course) and some kind of invert(s) and some plants and it would make for a very colorful and active 1 gallon! Its pushing it on stocking, but you have to constantly change the water in a 1 gallon anyways, so as long as everyone has space to move I personally think it will be ok.
Post InfoPosted 05-Dec-2009 07:00Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
devon7
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 356
Votes: 4
female usa
oh god this post was is sooooo old.... i feel stupid
Post InfoPosted 05-Dec-2009 07:01Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
1st_signer

Hobbyist
male usa us-california
i know how old this post is but i just put a betta a guppie and sum anubas in it thanks guys

Post InfoPosted 06-Apr-2010 01:14Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
You will have to keep an eye on the Guppy reason being the Betta could rip its fins to pieces very quickly.

Being such a small tank I personally would not be keeping a Betta in that tank but it is your choice.

It would make a perfect Shrimp tank.

Also I recommend you do a small about a 20% water change every second day to keep the water in good condition.

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 06-Apr-2010 02:45Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
1st_signer

Hobbyist
male usa us-california
EditedEdited 06-Apr-2010 02:51
naw i dont worey much the bettea's real peaceful they all play around alot but yea ill do that the water change sounds good i took ur advice and did the underground filtering and do a change usualy evry friday but thanks for the advice ill do that

Post InfoPosted 06-Apr-2010 02:50Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
wish-ga

----------
Mega Fish
Dial 1800-Positive-Posts
Kudos: 640
female australia
Shrimps....what great idea!

Peeps round here are full of great ideas!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~ My fish blow kisses at me all day long ~~~
Post InfoPosted 24-Apr-2010 12:03Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
chicguy1
Small Fry
Kudos: 0
Votes: 0
In a 1 gal, not much.
Post InfoPosted 03-Apr-2012 05:56Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies