Post Reply  New Topic
Subscribe29 gallon stocking
Spannsa
Small Fry
Kudos: 6
Votes: 0
female
EditedEdited 26-Oct-2009 02:37
I have upgraded from a 10 gallon tank and have almost finished cycling the 29 gallon. I currently have one betta and I've planned out in my head the list of other fish I eventually want to add, but I'm not sure if my tank will hold it all.

Here's what I want:

1 Male Betta (already have it)
4 Neon Tetras
4 Lemon Tetras
1 Platy
2 Bronze Corys
1 Bristlenose pleco
3 Dwarf Frogs
4 Cherry Shrimp

I've been looking at stocking tips, and some people have more fish than that in their tank, so I'm a little confused as to whether this will work or not.

Also, I've heard conflicting stories about Bettas and shrimp. Can you house them together or not? My betta is on the more peaceful end of the spectrum if that helps.

I keep getting different numbers for the size of BN Plecos. I've seen everything from 4" to 8" adult length. Can I fit one in a 29 gallon comfortably?
Post InfoPosted 26-Oct-2009 02:30Profile PM Edit Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
You certainly have a mix there and I can see several problems.
The Platy will require different water conditions to the other fish.
You would find a larger school of Cardinal Tetras would be better than 4 of each Neon and Lemon Tetras.

The Cherry Shrimps would just be a snack for the Betta
Dwarf Frog Sorry cannot help you there.
The Common BNs might only grow to 3-5 ins and only in perfect conditions.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 26-Oct-2009 03:03Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
Here are my suggestions:
get a school of both tetras at 6-8
I'm not very familiar with lemon tetras, but id they stay small like neons or generally small then you should be fine, if not maybe stick to one or the other.
Dwarf frogs need shallower water because they do breathe air so they need to be able to easily reach the surface of the water to take breathe, so i'd skip on them.

I've kept shrimp with bettas with out a problem but i suggest you start with ghost shrimp to see if your betta is interested in them as food if not you should be ok, just provide plenty of plants and hardscape for the shrimp to hide in and have room for some reproduction.

I would say get one nice sized school of like 8 of one tetra species and up your corry school to at least 6.

the platy will be lonely without others, and also as keith said they need some different water conditions (which isnt big issue with domesticated fish that are born into water conditions that are not nearly the same as those in which they originate).

My suggestion:
Male Betta
8 tetras
6 cories
1BN plec
and maybe a handful of ghost shrimp to start and if they survive get maybe ten cherry shrimp.

Hopefully this is helpful and the suggestions and reasoning makes sense.
Good luck
-Brandon
A 29 is plenty of space for all those along with your betta.

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 26-Oct-2009 04:52Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
jafo

----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 89
Votes: 2
male usa us-tennessee
I wouldn't do the frogs and sometimes Lemon Tetras can get nippy so they might not work too well with the Betta. I'd go with more Neons or Cardinals if you can get them. Add 1 Cory also and the bristlenose is fine but make sure you have at least 1 piece of real driftwood for the Pleco as they need it. Don't use fake wood or it could kill you pleco. Don't know anything about the shrimp.
Post InfoPosted 26-Oct-2009 22:11Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Delenn
Hobbyist
Kudos: 63
Votes: 10
female usa
Um, I have to disagree on the dwarf african frogs. I have a 37 gallon tall tank, and I have TWO dwarf african frogs. They have NO problem getting to the top of the tank for their air. I also provided tall plants, etc. in case they do need to stop for a small rest. They are happy and healthy, so don't discount the frogs yet! They are currently one of my favorite additions to my tank (the other being my zipper loaches. So cute!).
Post InfoPosted 28-Oct-2009 04:19Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies