L# 3-Day Feeder Pyramids
 Post Reply  New Topic
Subscribe3-Day Feeder Pyramids
atryeu
Fingerling
Kudos: 15
Votes: 4
female usa us-washington
I just found out today my family might be doing a short trip for a day or two so while I was in town I picked up a timer for my light and one of those "3-day feeder pyramids" things...

I was curious if anybody has used the feeders before and if they are any good. I think it will only be a day or two but I don't want my fishies to starve. They eat flakes though and I worry that why won't figure out where the food is. The pyramids package says it uses pellets and I've never fed pellets to my fish before so I'm a bit worried about it... Trip won't be till next month sometime if we do it.

Any info or suggestions would be great! I have a 20g planted tank with some Zebra Danios.
Post InfoPosted 29-Apr-2011 02:14Profile PM Edit Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
Hi,
I've gone on vacations for two weeks and once for three
and my fish, while hungery, were none the worse for wear.
Three days is nothing. Don't think of your fish as your
cats or dogs. Those need regular feedings each day,
the fish do not.

The main problem with some of the "vacation feeders" is
that they can actually polute the tank and raise
the nitrate levels.

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 29-Apr-2011 06:07Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
atryeu
Fingerling
female usa us-washington
I would most likely do an extra water change whatever week it is before we leave and then the usual on Fridays to make sure the water will be okay. Unless my tests are just getting old, I haven't had any problems with Ammonia or Nitrite since it cycled. PH has been stable since that slight drop and we have no Chlorine or anything to worry about in our water supply. Nitrates barely register now it seems... It was around 10 on the tests after it cycled but since it's always showing between 0-10... pretty low, if it's even there at all still.

So, I should just not worry about the pyramid then, even if it will be for 2-3 days for some reason (thinking only 1 night but might be 2 nights). Just feed them the night before we leave and when I get home will be okay? My family never goes anywhere together and I never go anywhere at all for more than a couple hours sometimes so I've never left my pets before. LoL

Post InfoPosted 29-Apr-2011 19:32Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
EditedEdited 30-Apr-2011 05:42
Hi,
When we travel we always bring our four footed friends
with us but alas, the finned ones must stay at home.

Feeding before you leave and again on your return should
be just fine.

A nitrate reading of 10 in a planted tank is great.

Have a great trip!
Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 30-Apr-2011 05:41Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
atryeu
Fingerling
female usa us-washington
Hi again!

Thanks for the information! I'll have to find out exactly how long we'll be gone but I'm sure it won't be more than 2 nights tops. I don't think our family can stand to be around each other much longer than that in a single room LoL

Glad to hear 10 is good for a planted tank. The test reads a mark below that though now so I don't know the exact count, somewhere around 10 or less. When I buy new tests next, I think I'll get a different brand. I don't really like these ones... It's hard to get an exact number for a couple of the tests LoL

Thanks again!
Post InfoPosted 30-Apr-2011 05:59Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies