Subscribe6G
bettachris

---------------
-----
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 4173
Votes: 452
male usa
i have an eclipce 6 with 2 ghost shrimps, it has been cycled and running for the last 6 months, and im finally breaking it down.

What would be a good idea. I want to put one of my HM males in there as the center fish, and base stocking around him.

What is something that is good, he is a very passive male so he will make a good tank buddy.
Post InfoPosted 26-Aug-2007 06:39Profile Homepage Yahoo PM Edit Report 
ScottF
---------------
Fish Addict
Addiction Hurts!!
Kudos: 330
Votes: 355
male usa
Maybe a nice little shoal of some peaceful cories?
Post InfoPosted 26-Aug-2007 19:36Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
coltsfan
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 75
Votes: 6
male usa
I would think with a 6g tank your stocking options are few. A shoal of cories would look nice but your tank would be way overstocked. I would just keep the betta and shrimp in there, it would still be a great looking tank and your betta would be the main attraction.

Justin

Colts Fan For Life
30g platy tank: 2 sunburst wag platys, 2 redtailed white calico platys, 2 red wag platys, 1 fry(not sure who it belongs to), 1 Golden CAE.
Bettas:1 VT male
Post InfoPosted 26-Aug-2007 20:13Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2782
Votes: 98
female usa
EditedEdited by sham
No cories in anything under 10g at least but even then I'd only suggest it for very experienced aquarists that are putting nothing but cories in the tank or it will end up easily overstocked. Best not to recommend cories for anything under 20g unless it's special circumstances.

Some really small schoolers like neons or threadfin rainbows would work. I really liked my threadfins and I doubt they would be considered a target by a betta but they are sensitive and very e to ich when transported so quarantine is necessary. Once they get over being moved and settled into a new tank they aren't too bad. Not for a cycling tank for sure and not really a beginner fish but they don't usually die off if you miss a few water changes on an otherwise well kept tank.

If you want bottomfeeders aside from shrimp I'd do either kuhli loaches(3-4) or 1 of the rather small plecos like clowns.

Post InfoPosted 26-Aug-2007 20:38Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
NewBreeder16
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 94
Votes: 16
male usa
Sry Christopher, I dont know of many betta tank mates. Somthing hardy, loaches are a good choise.

-Newb

Post InfoPosted 26-Aug-2007 21:45Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Joe Potato

---------------
-----
Fish Addict
Kind of a Big Deal
Votes: 309
male usa us-northcarolina
Somthing hardy, loaches are a good choise.

There's not a loach I can think of that would fit in a 6 gallon. Even dwarf loaches (Yasuhikotakia sidthimunki) get to be about 2.5 inches and need a school of at least 6, plus they're active enough to appreciate a bigger tank.
Post InfoPosted 26-Aug-2007 22:38Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
female usa
Kuhli loaches are the only ones I'd consider. They have alot less body mass and are less active than botia loaches. None of the botia species are acceptable and the only other common non botia species is the dojo loach which gets over 8".
Post InfoPosted 27-Aug-2007 00:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
eat_ham222
-----
Banned
Kudos: 72
Votes: 16
male usa
Bumblebee gobies! I bet 2,3,4 would do good in that tank! Not sure how'd it go with the beatta tho.. and the brakish-ness and all.
Post InfoPosted 29-Aug-2007 00:20Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
ImRandy85
---------------
Enthusiast
Bleeding Blue
Kudos: 137
Votes: 75
male usa
In that size tank I think I would try a trio of cherry barbs and some kuhli loaches.
Post InfoPosted 29-Aug-2007 21:34Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
coltsfan
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 75
Votes: 6
male usa
In the profile it says kuhli loaches get to be 4.7 inches long, at that size you could have one in there and not much else. A trio of cherry barbs would be ok. let us know what you decide to get.

Justin

Colts Fan For Life
30g platy tank: 2 sunburst wag platys, 2 redtailed white calico platys, 2 red wag platys, 1 fry(not sure who it belongs to), 1 Golden CAE.
Bettas:1 VT male
Post InfoPosted 30-Aug-2007 15:46Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
female usa
Kuhli loaches are extremely thin bodied like eels and usually aren't stretched out to their full length. They add less to the bioload and take up less space than a typical 4" fish. More like that of a 1" fish. They also spend most of their time touching the bottom or some other decoration and don't take up much swimming space. That means you could fit 3-4 in a 5-6g without much issue so long as you don't overstock the rest of the tank. There's more to look at than the length of the fish. Body mass and swimming habits make a huge difference. There are also several species sold under Kuhli loach. Mine only got to 3".

Bumblebees are best kept in a species only tank. They don't do nearly as well in freshwater versus brackish and they will likely tear a betta's fins to shreds. Nippy little monsters.
Post InfoPosted 30-Aug-2007 18:55Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
ImRandy85
---------------
Enthusiast
Bleeding Blue
Kudos: 137
Votes: 75
male usa
EditedEdited by ImRandy85
Just to kind of support what Sham said, I've got 3 kuhli loaches in my 10 gallon and I'm fairly sure they're done growing at around 3". They don't add much load at all and I could probably add a couple more to my tank. There shouldn't be any problem with 3 of them in a 6 gallon tank. Add more places for them to hide and you'll actually see them more. Great fish
Post InfoPosted 31-Aug-2007 07:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies