Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeAmazing Story
oz196
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 119
Votes: 15
male usa
I know this is very long, but if you read it you will not be disapointed, I promise.

Many of you may have read my other post about the missing fish, if not to make it short, one of my fish disapperaed over a week ago I thought he was just hiding, Tonight I found him, he was hidding inside a peice of fake driftwood, I tried to remove him but only suceeded in wedgeing him deep inside of it, in a place that I could not reach and he could not get out of. After several minutes of tring to shake him out, and reimersing him several times, I realized that I would have to destroy a $30 peice of driftwood, I quickly got a hammer and a screw driver, and chipped away at the fake driftwood slowly so that I would not injure te fish. I finally removed him and placed him back in the tank however he sank straight to the bottom where he did not move from, I realized that do to the conditions and strees he had passed felling horrible I held him as he layed motionless. I decided that I would hold him near the out put of my filter, the force of the water coming out actully pushed his mouth open, after more than 10 minutes I realized that my actions might be invain. As I removed him form the tank where I had been holding him the hole time, I noticed a slight movement, a few second later another one he was trying to breath , I quickly held him back under the output, where he remainded for the good part of 1/2 an hour, he finally began to swim, but had trouble staying right side up, i held him right side up and moved him threw the water, he began to swim on his own, but spent more time on he bottom than swimming, the other fish began to follow him, so i moved him to a breeding net, he is still very slow, and I am not sure he will make it till morning. He has suffered some injurys do to his confinement but other wise is in good health I addes some water conditioner that helps to restore the slime coat, and I dropped a few flake in the breeding net.
It is amazing that a fish confined for over a week, stressed to death, dead, and finally back to life.

I really hope he survives I will try to post again tommorow
thanks
Post InfoPosted 05-Feb-2006 06:05Profile Yahoo PM Edit Report 
fishys_cant_fly
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 114
Votes: 2
male usa
It aws worth it poor fishy great job life guard/:'
Post InfoPosted 05-Feb-2006 06:22Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
Well I'm crossing my fingers for your little buddy, hopefully he pulls through!

Unfortunately this isn't even the first time I've heard of driftwood, fake or not, posing a problem for fish to get stuck inside. It is something that can pose a danger to one's fish, so hopefully stories like this will make people pay more attention to the decorations they are buying.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 05-Feb-2006 06:23Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
rocker23
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 70
Votes: 0
male canada
goodjob=)
Post InfoPosted 05-Feb-2006 09:48Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Falesha13
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 65
Votes: 5
female usa
That truely is an amazing story. I hope you and you fish recover from this obviously tramatizing experience.
Post InfoPosted 05-Feb-2006 09:58Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
BlackNeonFerret
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 137
Votes: 30
female uk
EEEK!
How big is he???
One of my platies tends to hide in a hollow bit on the top of my driftwood.
Post InfoPosted 05-Feb-2006 12:53Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
oz196
-----
Big Fish
male usa
He is about 3-4 inches long
Post InfoPosted 05-Feb-2006 13:52Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
oz196
-----
Big Fish
male usa
Well it is morning, after I posted last night he started o go down hill again. I turned my output to face his breeding net, and I added an airstone to keep he water cirulating threw his net. He is still alive but not out of he woods.

QUICK QUESTION
I have a 10 gallon tank that I breed my guppies in should I put him in there, However the water is kept a little warmer, and the parameters are slightly different. I not sure which is a bigger stree/problem the differnce in water, or beening confined to a breeding net?
Post InfoPosted 05-Feb-2006 13:56Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
Kudos: 1997
Votes: 670
male usa
EditedEdited by LITTLE_FISH
oz196,

What a good fish papa you are

I don't know what is the better thing to do at this point, I am sure the fish is stressed quite a bit and with another move you could put him over the edge. If the tank that he is in is not bad then I would say you should leave him there. He might very well have suffered internal injuries as well and in that case he just might die, no matter what.

Hang in there,

Ingo

Proud Member of the New Jersey Aquatic Gardeners Club
Post InfoPosted 05-Feb-2006 14:34Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Falesha13
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 65
Votes: 5
female usa
I'm glad to hear that he has made it through the night. Please keep us updated.
Post InfoPosted 05-Feb-2006 20:57Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
BlackNeonFerret
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 137
Votes: 30
female uk
I'm glad he made it, good fishy lifeguard, you deserve a medal!

Also glad he is 3-4 ins. My platies are just over 1, and just under 2, and i have only 1 tank, so i do not want them to end up like that!
Post InfoPosted 06-Feb-2006 18:40Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
luvmykrib
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 256
Votes: 27
female canada
Wow! I'm so glad you found him! I really hope he makes it. I know they say not to add salt to a planted tank, but it often will help with healing, resistance to infection. Adding the water conditioner helps with the slime coat to relieve stress in fish as well. Both those things are great! Also fish handle stress better with the lights low or off. Turning the tank light off for the day and just having the room lights on may help him to deal with the stress. It should not adversely affect the other fish or plants that may be in the tank. And it would only be for a couple of days.

You are a hero among fish keepers!/:'

"If you're afraid you'll make a mistake, you won't make anything."
-Family Circus
Post InfoPosted 06-Feb-2006 20:46Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
rjmcbean
----------
Hobbyist
Like a Farmer
Kudos: 75
Votes: 415
female usa
Thanks for posting this story Oz196... a lot of people can learn from your experience! I have not had a problem of this nature *yet anyway, but, at least I know something can be done!

Good Job!

"it's the neck, it creaks under the weight of too much heavy thinking."
Post InfoPosted 06-Feb-2006 22:14Profile AIM MSN Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
dreamseeker12
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 34
Votes: 0
Good luck with him, and I hope he pulls through, and I would like to say he is out of the danger zone, but I can't be sure. Keep us posted though, I really hope he makes it!

Fish are like potato chips. . .you can't have just one
Post InfoPosted 07-Feb-2006 04:57Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
oz196
-----
Big Fish
male usa
The missing fish is still alive, he has been moved to a 10 gallon tank. I am in the process of fixing all of my decor, I took the smashed up driftwood to the pet shop and made them replace it, I got a different style peice one without holes, I am using silicon to patch up the hole in the other peices, so that the fish can't fit in them. Next week I will return him to the big tank. He is constantly hiding now, I hope he will out grow out of it, but I am going to rearange all of the decor so that he will have a new start. I will post again in a few days
thanks
Post InfoPosted 11-Feb-2006 00:59Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies