L# Ancient Fish
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeAncient Fish
bettadude
Fingerling
Kudos: 15
Votes: 3
usa
hey wat would be a LONG LIVING fish that is good with mollies or is okay in a 10 gallon?( if there r any)

experience is something you dont get until right after you need it
Post InfoPosted 12-Jan-2009 01:58Profile PM Edit Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
I have Clown Loaches over 20yld now and some Silver Sharks aging gracefully but neither of these fish would be suitable for your tank as it is far too small. I think you will find as you get more experienced at fish keeping you fish will live a lot longer because of the correct attention you give to your tank and its inhabitants.

Sorry this does not answer your question exactly but it will give you an idea about the life span of some fish. Some good reference books will the ages of some fish.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 12-Jan-2009 02:21Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
I know that species of Corydoras catfish can live upwards of 10 years. Even tetras can be raised to 7 years (and probably more) although most people would consider these shorter-lived fishes.

I wouldn't worry too much about life expectancy, if you take good care of your fish they will live a long time. I almost never hear about people losing fish due to old age.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 12-Jan-2009 04:24Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
HOKESE
-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 478
Votes: 271
male australia
EditedEdited by hokese
off topic for a minute,keith i was just wondering how big are your 20 year old cl?
Post InfoPosted 12-Jan-2009 09:49Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Calilasseia

---------------
-----
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Panda Funster
Kudos: 2828
Votes: 731
male uk

With respect to old age, I posted here some time ago about one of my Otocinclus catfishes that reached 9 years of age. Likewise, 10 years is considered a minimum age for many Corydoras if they are looked after properly, 15 is nearer the mark, and even amongst the smaller members of the Genus Synodontis, 10 year lifespans are not considered unusual.

The problem here of course is that small 10 gallon tank. Which, strictly speaking, those mollies will outgrow in fairly short order, especially if they are bona fide Sailfin Mollies. Poecilia velifera in particular is a LARGE fish as an adult, a particularly resplendent male can reach as much as 6 inches given room to grow, quality feeding and top-class filtration, and as such is in my view a candidate for a 55 gallon aquarium if kept in any numbers!

Even the hybrid Mollies that contain assorted admixtures of genes from P. sphenops and P. latipinnna are going to be chunky fishes as they grow older, and in a 10 gallon, they'll find it cramped to put it mildly.

If you want a long-lived community that will live in a 10 gallon, I'd suggest something other than Mollies as your main fishes - I'd go with something a LOT smaller, such as Ember Tetras (4cm max SL) with a couple of Otocinclus occupying the bottom. The Ember Tetras will provide more than enough colour, and their tiny size makes them ideal for your 10 gallon setup. Likewise, a pair of Otocinclus occupying the bottom will coexist peacefully with the tiny Ember Tetras, and together you should be looking at the best part of a decade's life out of those fishes if they are cared for well.

Panda Catfish fan and keeper/breeder since Christmas 2002
Post InfoPosted 14-Jan-2009 04:04Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
bettadude
Fingerling
Kudos: 15
Votes: 3
usa
o no i meant is okay with mollies in a 29 gallon or is okay by himself in a 10 gallon.

experience is something you dont get until right after you need it
Post InfoPosted 14-Jan-2009 23:05Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Hoksey
Have you ever tried to measure a big fish in 5ft tank. Last time I tried to follow him around the front of the tank with a rule and I would guess from nose to tail tip it would be about 18cm also he has a huge girth.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 15-Jan-2009 02:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
I personally would not have Mollies in either of those tanks they would not have enough room to develop as they got older and bigger.

Look here for my

Keith

VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 15-Jan-2009 02:46Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Cichlid Kid
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 285
Votes: 34
male usa
scratch the livenearers
Post InfoPosted 16-Jan-2009 17:39Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies