AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Freshwater Aquaria
 L# General Freshwater
  L# Aquaponics (hydroponics... BUT WITH FISH!)
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeAquaponics (hydroponics... BUT WITH FISH!)
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
Hey guys, I've been a bit bored up at Uni and have been looking for ways to well, try to experiment a bit with my aquarium. I discovered aquaponics while I was browsing gardening blogs on composting and etc giving my inner hippy food for the soul.

Anyways the general idea of aquaponics is the fish waste in the water is filtered through biological media and then flowed over beds of plants (veggies, flowers, herbs, or whatever). The main consensus is some kind of porous gravel/rock/clay is used as a substrate for the plants that are grown exterrior of the actual aquarium or pond and the water is cycled into timed flooding intervals into the gorw beds and then allowed to drain and dry a little before the next flooding. Ideally this should omit any need for chemical filtration and/or fertilizing additives (although in some cases sea weed extracts are added when nutrient deficiency is evident).

Anyways this is a project that I am in the researching stage of doing and I was wondering if anyone out there has doen anything similar or has seen it done and has advice or anything.

My plan is to use kitty litter pans supported above the tank by a sturdy wooden frame near a window. I will probably use an empty tank to get this one going and get a few gold fish to get it going and potentially move into something more exotic like cichlids or just a breeding ground for some live bearers?

Thanks for the read and I'm gonna get drawing on some designs within the next week and then plans. It will probably be a 29g system with a 10g overflow tank and three to four one gallon (ish) new/clean cat pans for the grow beds. over flow tank will operate on a float switch to refill the large tank and the large tanks out pump will operate on a timer (cycling every 15 minutes or so). Fish will be fed organic homemade foods if vegetables are grown (hope my mom is ok with grubs and worms in the food processor!). If not then they will probably be fed flakes and I will grow ornamentals.

Thanks for the read and please any and all information, comments, and/or questions are welcome!

-Brandon

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 01-Mar-2011 22:54Profile PM Edit Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
Hmmmmm....could work, the problem being that the fish may not provide enough for the plants (depending on what you end up growning) and that with the design anything that goes into the plants goes into the soil.

The nutrient rich water is of course good for plants, I use my water change water on the garden all the time, but I also supplement with seaweed solution and worm farm castings. (oh and composted yard trimmings and horse manure).

For the substrate I'd look at clay cat litter. Pretty sure that used to be the substrate of choice back in the pre-flourite days. Make sure it's a pure clay litter and not treated with anything scent wise. Might check out home depot in the gardening section for shultzes aquatic plant soil. Slightly pricey (as compared to kitty litter) but meant for ponds and so fish safe.

Keep in mind goldfish need a 50 gallon or larger tank. Danios, and some small barbs may do you better.

Also keep in mind that whatever you plant above the tank will not only trail its roots into the tank but may also contaminate from above. Pretty sure you shouldn't plan on tomatoes, I've never liked putting my hands into the fishtank after I've touched a tomato plant. Never read that it's bad but based on how much staining of the skin occurs I just don't think it's right for the fish.

If you haven't read Diana Walstad's book, Ecology of the Planted Aquarium might see if your uni has a copy. Might help you a bit although it's meant more for aquatic plants.

Buy new cat litter pans, even after washing out a cat pan they still smell to me. And considering anything that goes on top of the tank may end up in the tank you don't want a massive possible ammonia source hanging right over where your fish are!

Check out second hand stores for a blender or food processor, don't use mums for worms and grubs even if they are a good protein source!

As for the plants you're growing. I'd look into some of the easier to grow herbs (basil!) and vegetables (lettuce radishes). I did have ornamental plants growing down into some of my fishtanks. Still had to do water changes though.

Let us know how it goes

^_^

Post InfoPosted 02-Mar-2011 03:00Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
Hi,
You might want to check out this site:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CU9x_W9X-tM

There are many different "flavors" of the theme using
water from a fish tank to produce terrestrial plants
and vegetables. Don't use kitty litter or clay alone, for
your substrate. You can use it as a layer in the bottom
of the tray, and then cover (cap) the layer with aquarium
gravel, or hydroponic gravel but I don't know of any who
are using it now. With the advances in hydroponics, I'd
drop by a store, or a web site, specializing in that
field and then go from there.

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 02-Mar-2011 10:31Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
male usa us-california
Thanks Babel,
Yeah I was planning on getting new cat pans from the dollar store although I may rethink that option and go with something a little nicer and more suitable like plastic tubs from the harware store or some nice thick PVC piping that I can drill and put small net baskets into.

I have been researching it alot and figured the plant probably wouldn't have quite enough nutrition that they would normally need but I do have a local source that sells organic seaweed extracts and I have also heard good review from just simple "Mir@cleGr0w" through some people on aquabid and a few other forums/blogs.

I am also going to request a copy of Walstad's book through the Uni Inter Library Loan because we don't have it on the shelf but someone is bound to. I am not exactly sure how well the goldies were going to fare but I figured once they get too big (probably by summer) I could move them home with me and give them a go in my parent's pond.

Frank, I've been watching about a thousand YouTube videos on these things and I have seen some pretty funky contraptions people try but I think that with my own ingenuity and some biological/chemical knowledge I could probably make something a little more suitable for my indoor version in the window.

Although due to Spring Break being in a week or so I am gonna put off my actual construction a few weeks so this thing might not even be running until next semester (gone all summer as a camp counselor).

Anyways thanks for the feedback I'm gonna draw up some schematics after midterms... which somehow snuck up on me!

-Brandon

Post InfoPosted 05-Mar-2011 07:29Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
male usa us-california
Hey guys I did a little thinking as to the stocking of the tank. I think I will do some sort of Livebearer breeding tank with some good floating plants (Najas and Frogbit?) That way I can sell off my old tank (I have an empty 10g and 29g back home) and make some money to get the new one going.

I figured if I purchased a good strong strain of Guppy and a good strong strain of platy or sword tail I could trade the babies to the LFS for live food or plants/other live stock. I mean tecnically it would be an awesome breeding tank, well aerated water and no chemicals!

I do have a BN plec but I was also thinking that it would be good to get a common plec (based on how I get the tank stocked/scaped) for the output of waste... because they are BIG poopers.

I just really enjoy the idea of a full ecosystem that I can benefit from (aesthetically as well as nutritionally depending on what I grow).

As far as top plant I was thinking herbs would work best to start. Basil, mints, Thyme, etc. But also I think Peas would grow rather well if given the proper trellising material.

Just my ponderings.
Thanks for reading,
-Brandon

Post InfoPosted 06-Mar-2011 19:51Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies