Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeAre fish an addiction?
LMuha
----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 1144
Votes: 183
female usa
I'm curious as to how many tanks people have. Is everyone else as out of control as I am when it comes to fish? I started with one tank a few years ago, and now I'm up to seven (not counting the fish in the pond in the back yard); I'd have more, but we have no basement and I'm out of space in the rest of the house. (I'm trying to persuade my husband to give up the big-screen TV to make way for another tank, but so far, he's not biting!)

The reason I've been thinking about this lately is because we just put new flooring in my home office, an ordeal that involved moving six tanks in and out of the room!

How did this happen? What is it about this hobby that makes it so easy to get out of control????

Post InfoPosted 28-Jul-2006 14:01Profile PM Edit Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
Kudos: 1997
Votes: 670
male usa
Laura,

I started about 16 months ago in this hobby, with a 29G. Now I have that tank, plus a 20G, a 40G, and a 125G (you may have seen it in the August TFH edition).

Here are my thoughts on how this happens:

- There are soooooo many different fish to chose from
- There are soooooo many environment to chose from (like African lake, and South American River, and what not)
- Both of these points cannot be combined into one tank
- I would say that another major reason for MTS is the hobbyist community. Although I cannot vouche for this idea, I would assume that people that are not part of a fish hobby community have on average less tanks than us FP nerds, and the members of other sites, clubs, or simply a group of people that come together to share their experience. We, as a community, provide the insight for all the other options that are still out there. In addition, there is most certainly some degree of competition (go ahead, admit it) that motivates us for more, larger, better, and so forth.
- In your particular case, being a columns writer at TFH almost forces you (and I am sure not too much force has to be applied ) to have many tanks. How else would you be able to write all these wonderful columns that I love to read every month?

That is it for now, I will add more if I come up with additional points.

Ingo

PS: I cannot chop up living worms either, I guess I can confess to be squeamish as well (September 2006 TFH)

Proud Member of the New Jersey Aquatic Gardeners Club
Post InfoPosted 28-Jul-2006 14:13Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
illustrae
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 876
female usa
I know what you mean... I started a tiny 7 gallon tank five years ago, having done no research at all. Three years later I had a common pleco that was very cramped in that little tank (I'd had no idea he would get so huge when I bought him with three goldfish that I put in that little tank). At this point, I started doing research and that's where the addiction began. I decided I wanted to do an aquarium right, so I got a 30 gallon long for my pleco to be happier in. But I wanted to try a planted tank (thanks to all the great info and pictures on this site) and the pleco kept tearing them up, so clearly I needed another tank for the pleco, and I ended up getting a 65 gallon for him. That tided me over for a few months, but I had so many ideas! So many different aquascapes to try from the natural biotope to whimsical novelties. And there are so many cool fish! Like little_fish said, there are so many cool fish that just aren't compatible with each other, so obviously you need a bunch of tanks to keep them ALL! I have 6 tanks too now, and I'm trying to justify more.

It really is addicting, and it's so, so tempting to keep getting bigger and better tanks for bigger, more challenging, or unique fish. Or to have dozens of little tanks to try all different biotopes or little aquascaping projects.

Hoping that there must be a word for everything I mean...
Post InfoPosted 28-Jul-2006 16:03Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Calilasseia

---------------
-----
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Panda Funster
Kudos: 2828
Votes: 731
male uk
In my case, temptation to launch into a full blown case of Multiple Tank Syndrome is severely restrained by finances. However, I would be the first to admit that if the opportunity arose, and the funds were present, I'd probably end up with a major collection. I'm pondering at this moment pressing the former Panda Nursery into service as an aquarium for Anomalochromis thomasi.

Trouble is, after my trip to Maidenhead Aquatics, I've compiled a list of things I want to keep from there - batch of arcuatus Corys that have just shown up there, the thomasis, Ember Tetras, Cochu's Blues, Parosphromenus deissneri, not to mention the Laetacara dorsigera and the mixed Apistos they have in stock.

The guy I spoke to also told me that if I wanted them, he could obtain Blue Eyes - Pseudomugil connieae - WOW!

Part of the reason my fishes have a hold on me is because they're grateful for the work I put in. When I roll up my sleeves and engage in the requisite water change and gravel vac chorse, the fishes appreciate my efforts. They respond by sparkling all over with vibrant colours and, in the case of the Pandas, start spawning. I'd have to wait a LONG time before I recieved that level of gratitude from some people.

Panda Catfish fan and keeper/breeder since Christmas 2002
Post InfoPosted 28-Jul-2006 16:27Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
GirlieGirl8519
----------
Fish Master
*Malawi Planter*
Kudos: 1029
Votes: 35
female usa
EditedEdited by GirlieGirl8519
I agree with everything said. I started a couple years ago with a 10g that was improperly stocked. I didn't know how to take care of it either, until I stumbled across FP. Now, I have done my research and learned so much about the hobby. I have also seen other people's tanks and thought "hey, maybe I should get some of those fish" which always leads to "well i can just get another tank and have those fish plus others".

I'm also with LittleFish, that there are many types of fish I want to keep, but you can only put so many in a tank....and some can't be kept together, so it gives you another reason to buy more tanks! I have me a list going of potential tanks...Discus, Africans...and there are more than that.

I am proud to say that I have MTS...and I'm addicted to keeping fish.

*Kristin*
Post InfoPosted 28-Jul-2006 18:08Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
sunspotkat
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 33
Votes: 11
female usa
I'm glad that I'm not alone.

I'm actually coming from a similar place as you Illustrae.

My husband bought me a 20 gallon tank for Christmas a few years back and not knowing what I was doing, I bought some fish that ended up getting really big. I looked over at the tank one day and realized that the shark was way out of proportion with the size of his environment. I started doing some research and decided that I had to make some choices. A 55 gallon tank soon followed.

Now I have a 20 gallon and 55 gallon running, another 20 and 55 gallon being set up and plans for a 210 gallon in the works. (I even have the space where it's going taped out on the floor to save it's spot ) My husband says we have so many animals that we should start charging admission to come in our house.

I think this hobby is so addicting because it is very exciting and rewarding. There is a dizzying array of fish and plants to choose from representing all areas of the planet. The choices are endless. It's so cool to be able to create all these different types of living environments.

I think Little_Fish could be on to something with the community idea. The ability to disscus the aspects of the hobby with other people is definitely stimulating. I found this community doing the research on my shark and I am very glad to have done so. I probably wouldn't have so many tanks if I wasn't actively learning about the hobby and sharing ideas with other like minded people.

Now I just wish that I could find something locally that was similar.

- Meow -
Post InfoPosted 28-Jul-2006 18:39Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Calilasseia

---------------
-----
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Panda Funster
male uk
Oh yes, bouncing ideas for new and exciting aquaria off each other is a BIG part of the fun of FishProfiles!

In my case, I tend to go looking for unusual things that people haven't heard of for my 'Wish List'. Most of these are what might be termed 'aquarium dwarfs' because I've always got my mind on the space restrictions at home, plus the fact that for a big aquarium I'd have to pull up the floorboards and reinforce the joists with brick columns set in concrete to make sure the floor could take the weight. Principally because my idea of a large aquarium is the sort of thing that might be more usually seen at a venue such as Liverpool Museum - how I'd LOVE to have the resources to set up a mimic of their 2,000 gallon reef tank with 30 Anthias in it!

Apart from the civil engineering project aquarium that I've been lusting after for years, I tend to go for clusters of more modest sized aquaria as my choice, because with the choices of fishes on my 'wish list', that makes sense. For example, among the 'dwarf' oddities that are woefully rare in the hobby is Barbus gelius, the Golden Dwarf Barb (only ever seen it in the flesh once), plus those favourites I've mentioned so often of late such as Rasbora vaterifloris (absolutely DROP DEAD GORGEOUS in the right setting!) and Neolebias ansorgei. Also, since fishing_around obtained two Lamp Eye Killies, I've added those to the list too. Plus some Rivulus xiphidus, Aphyosemion bualanum, and a truly unique Killie called Cubanichthys cubensis that provides a spawning novelty, but sadly the chances of getting an import from Cuba is practically zero even here in the UK, where we don't have quite the same problems as US aquarists have obtaining Cuban fishes ...

Oh, and among the dwarfs that will be a speciality fish for a LONG time is Barbus hulstaerti from Africa, the Butterfly Barb. This fish is nicknamed the Vinegar Barb because its native waters are at a pH of 4.8!

Post InfoPosted 28-Jul-2006 22:20Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
OldTimer
---------------
-----
Mega Fish
USAF Retired
Kudos: 1294
Votes: 809
male usa
EditedEdited by OldTimer
Absolutely an addiction.

I started out in the hobby back in 1972 when I purchased my first 10 gallon tank and it has been growing since. There have been times when I was limited to having only 1 or 2 tanks, however I have been on the growth side again and currently have 15 tanks.

I have to admit that all are not currently set up, however there are plans for each and every one of them, it just takes me time to get each one going due to time contraints.

My most recent acquisition includes a large 150 gallon tank that the logistics of placement in my home are giving me a bit of a challenge at the moment, however I'm sure I'll eventually work it out and in fact I'm even considering building a separate "fish house" to accommodate not only this tank, but many more.

I know there are others with many more tanks, I believe Acid Rain has over 100 tanks going, so I feel my addiction is fairly under control compared to theirs

Jim

Water, taken in moderation, cannot hurt anybody. -- Mark Twain
Post InfoPosted 28-Jul-2006 22:39Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
DeletedPosted 29-Jul-2006 07:42
This post has been deleted
coop
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 60
Votes: 2
male australia
i started off with a 20G, then got a 30G and the 20G turned into the hospital tank. i than got given 2 20G's and a 29G from my ex-hobbyist friend, now i've just set up a new 55G. so i now have a 20G hospital(there's nether anything in it, i guess thats a good thing though), a 20G QT, a 20G breeder(well not really a breeder its just that the kribs & blue rams breed like rabbits so i either put the fry in the 20G or they get eaten), a 30G community(soon to be a marine), a 29G(with the kribs in it) and 55G for a SA community. So thats 6......all in 13 months, thats not 2 bad is it?
Post InfoPosted 29-Jul-2006 07:46Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Calilasseia

---------------
-----
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Panda Funster
male uk
If memory serves, Ad Konings from the Cichlid Room website is the ultimate fish addict. He bought the house next door to his just so he could fill it with fish tanks, and I believe that house contains 300 aquaria! He didn't stop there, and still has numerous aquaria in the house he actually lives in as well ...

When you go to those lengths for your fishkeeping, you very DEFINITELY qualify as an addict!

Post InfoPosted 29-Jul-2006 11:51Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
xlinkinparkx
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 353
male canada
300 tanks, Just open a pet store or zoo lol, I have 4tanks in works 5,10,20,48 and a 5 and 2.8 not in use.

Well I'm only 16 so 1)I have no money but I somehow bought it all by myself 2) My mom dosent want me to get anymore lol. Oh well, either way I dont think I would have time to take care of anymore...

10gallon: 8neons 5gallon: 1betta
1oto
2platys
Post InfoPosted 29-Jul-2006 19:06Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
Hi,
I think that just about anything has the potential to
become an addiction. You have to look at the criteria
or one of the definitions of the word.
Fish become a problem if: For instance you spend the
money allocated for food, kids clothes, the car payment,
(etc) on fish, then Yes, it probably is an addiction.
If you spend hours and hours on the tanks, and less and
less time with the family then Yes, it probably is an
addiction.

Now, I'd better go visit with the wife.... she called
me a while ago and I've been on the ()*) computer for
hours!

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 30-Jul-2006 17:42Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
coop
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 60
male australia
EditedEdited by coop
im only 15, mum put in a fair bit of $$ for the 55G & the 30G. 4 of tanks are spread thruoghout the 2 lounge rooms, but i keep the 55G and the hospital tank in my room.
Post InfoPosted 01-Aug-2006 11:12Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mughal113
----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 160
Votes: 64
male pakistan
here are some symptoms that would ensure addiction to fish (these are specific for bettas, but i think, can be applied for all fish ) forgot the website i took it from

You woke up this morning with both hands in your betta tank.

You caught yourself flaring at your reflection in the mirror while brushing your teeth.

You inadvertently sprinkled freeze dried bloodworms on your ice cream yesterday.

There is a betta swimming in your coffee maker.

You have actually pondered the thought of converting your brand new TV set into an extra fish tank.

You can actually see bettas swimming when you close your eyes.
Post InfoPosted 06-Aug-2006 09:23Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
denver

---------------
Mega Fish
Mile High....
Kudos: 205
Votes: 110
female australia us-colorado
I'm not addicted, I can stop at any time.

Actually, of late I've been neglectful of my tanks. In fact, my 72 only has, oh, 6 rummynose tetras in it. The rest of the fish died.

Soon though, there will be discus in there
Post InfoPosted 06-Aug-2006 16:42Profile Homepage ICQ PM Edit Delete Report 
dan76
----------
Big Fish
Always Reading Posts
male australia
i have 8 running at the moment ,6 of those are 4 ft or larger. i closed off the garage and now use it as a fish room.

one two three four five six seven eight nine ten eleven twelve thirteen fourteen fifteen sixteen seventeen, thats all you need

OH TOLEEDY!
Post InfoPosted 07-Aug-2006 22:57Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
RockmaninovRachs
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 39
Votes: 39
female usa
EditedEdited by RockmaninovRachs
Oh, absolutely an addiction. I have two tanks, but one is just a five gallon hex with my Betta and some snails. I do live in a college dorm right now, so that DEFINITELY puts restrictions on me (number, their size, as well as I have to be able to move it out at summer and back in the fall. It's certainly not the most convenient set-up, but I like to think that I take really good care of my fish despite that struggle. Once I have a more permanent residence, though, look out. I'll be busting out some major tanks...
I love keeping fish, and this site is definietly the biggest reason I've been so successful thus far.
Post InfoPosted 08-Aug-2006 02:48Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
BlackNeonFerret
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 137
Votes: 30
female uk
EditedEdited by BlackNeonFerret
I've been doing this for 8 months, and still only have 1 tank ( it's a 15. Some people get bigger tanks because they put the wrong fish in the wrong sized tank, and then get attached (like me and my cories - i'm trying to get a 40 )
Post InfoPosted 08-Aug-2006 17:27Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
jsmith_2003
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 5
Votes: 0
male usa
It could be but I cant find the money for it so im stuck with what I've got but if I did have money I would be in re-hab
Post InfoPosted 16-Aug-2006 18:57Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
# Pages: 1, 2
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies